• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Advice please!

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

blondecat

Hi everyone,

Just wondered if I could ask anyone for a little advice please. I'm having Jake and Treacle neutered on Monday and then after a few weeks will pair them up with the girls. I just wanted to know if I'm ok to put the girls straight in with each boy. They have spent a lot of time in their indoor pens placed right next to each other and Jake particularly has been going mad to get at the girls. When they first get together and "do it" will the boys hurt the girls as they are quite a lot bigger than them.

Also, I wondered about letting Scruffy have just one litter before Jake is done. I wouldn't sell the babies, I'd keep at least 2 - 4. I thought they'd be more company for everyone. But I don't want to do this if its unethical or bad for the piggies. I've just bought 2 new 4 foot double storey hutches so I have 3 empty hutches if the babies and mum need to be seperate. I have 3 good responsible friends wanting to give the babies homes in pairs if I get that many! Would it be wrong to do this? I just thought the experience would be nice for me but not sure if it would be for the piggies. Please don't think badly of me for considering it cos if its wrong I definately won't do it xx

I just thought, maybe this is wrong cos if I don't have any babies I could offer two rescued females a home, couldn't I? Can you put more than one female with a male?

I am on 'all girl' owner but I do know people who have one male in a large group of girls (1 male, 7 females) so it does work. In regards to how hard the introductions are, I am not sure but hopefully someone else will come along who has done it!

In regards to having one litter..... I personally wouldn't but it isn't because I am against breeding as such but more because there are always risks and you have to be prepared for complications during pregnancy/labour etc. I wouldn't really want the responsibility - and I am pretty sure my nerves would be shot to pieces by the end of it. Also, as you don't know what homes will be available once they are born, I think you need to be prepared to keep all babies.

This is just my personal opinion - at the end of the day, it is up to you..... :)

:) I leave my boars for 2 weeks before introducing to sows, CCT advice.
I have one boar in with four sows in 2 of my groups. It all depends on the personalities involved, some are better in twos.

I don't begrudge anyone seeing/having a litter of guineas, its your decision. Remember you can't guarantee the genders or personalities either. I've found that some mother/daughter pairs are the worst, it really has to be a personality match in my opinion.

I had a Gorgeous sow that I would love to have bred from, but just couldn't risk anything happening to her during the birth. I would love to have her little ones with me now she has gone :'( Having a pregnant sow is very worrying, and not something I could knowingly do again, the rescue ones are worry enough ::)

after they are neutered, leave them for three to six weeks, just to be sure.

the introducing... obviously having a run built up to introduce them is always a good idea, neutral territory, enough space to get out of each others way, etc.

But usually, you dont get much problems putting a boy with some girls. He will try to chase them, mount them, they will run away, nip him, and eventually put him back in his place ;) I have seen that four times now, its pretty much always the same.
I usually feel sorry for the girls, but it is hilarious to watch, the way my Marvin gets all randy and starts doing his funny little dance and then tries to get lucky with one of the girls - and none lets him! aww poor little fella...

I mean there can always be problems, every guinea has its own character, and some just dont get on with each other, can happen with every pet. But usually girls with one boy is no problem at all. Is one of your girls particularly(sp) dominant and bossy?

My girls are four weeks apart in age and neither of them are particularly dominant. They are very good friends and I was worried about splitting them up. I could leave the two of them together with Jake and get another girlie friend for Treacle! :D I've think I've decided that I don't really know enough about piggies to breed them, even just once. And Scruffy is my first baby and the one who made me realise piggies are so wonderful - I would never forgive myself if anything happenend to her because of me breeding her. I know there are rescued females wanting homes :D

:) I agree everything should go smoothly with boars and sows, but I've had a few sows attack boars and even a boar that attacked a sow. Just take things slowly, just in case. Get one group settled with their chosen boar before you get more. They really do choose their partners and it makes such a difference I've found. They're so much better at it than us :)

I know, I wanted to put Scruffy with Treacle cos they're both very gentle and quiet whereas the other two are more boisterous. But no, madam seems to prefer Jake! Does anyone have an opinion or advice on whether it would be nicer to leave scruffy and sophie together since they always have been and if they will miss each other. If this is the case, I have an opening for another female to live with Treacle!

:) If they get on well I'd keep them together, then you only have to find a sow that likes Treacle, which should be easier.

karenrgpr said:
:) If they get on well I'd keep them together, then you only have to find a sow that likes Treacle, which should be easier.

I agree with Karen. I would leave them together if they have always been together and get another girl for Treacle.

Oh cool! You've just given me advice to get another piggy! :D :D :DI'm so excited now! Anyone know of a female piggy needing a good home! Lolxxx

I have 3 sows with a neutered boar and found introductions harder than introducing sows. When I first introduced the lad to my dominant female, it resulted in a lot of hair pulling and teeth chattering, something I hadn't experienced introducing females. However, it only took a couple of days to settle down and I have a very well-balanced little herd now - having a male around definitely solves any PMS-related dominance problems with the 3 girls!

With regards to the breeding - what's the point? You would be risking the life of your sow and doing perfectly nice rescue piggies out of a home! There's definitely no point in breeding just for the sake of it. Glad to hear you're considering rescuing now, though.

Yes I am. I can't do it to my little scruffy. Just need one little girlie to live with Treacle now. I'll keep the other two together. Is a four foot double storey hutch big enough for three pigs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back