Advice Please

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ruffles

Reaction score
My two male guinea pigs have been scrapping a bit recently. Nothing serious but I am concerned as today I notice that Puddles has a bit of fur missing and there is a little scab. I bought Puddles on 1 August and Smudge a few weeks later. They were both 6-8 weeks old when I bought them. I let them run around every evening and tonight they had another scuffle whilst they were out. There was a lot of teeth chattering going on and Smudge was chasing Ruffles. They also seem to scent a lot and it stinks. Is it because they are young and trying to work out who is dominant? Most of the time they seem okay together and when I put them back in the cage they just lay on their house together but both were breathing heavily. :( Would getting them neutered help or is this a bad idea? Please help as I'm sure they like each other really. :(

TwoPiggies

Reaction score
Neutering them would make no differnece to their behaviour its not the same as other animals.

My pair were like this for first few weeks but seemed to figure out who was boss.

As your two are similar in age they will both be hormonal and trying to decide who is boss.

If blood is drawn you should seperate them but one of my piggies had a patch of fur pulled out and a wee scab but I left them together and they sorted it out.

Do they have a big cage? Do they get out much? Do they have two of everything as in 2 water bottles and bowls and bedroom areas? This would maybe stop the arguing. I think space is the most important factor in boars getting along.

Hope this helps :)

Ruffles

Reaction score
Neutering them would make no differnece to their behaviour its not the same as other animals.

My pair were like this for first few weeks but seemed to figure out who was boss.

As your two are similar in age they will both be hormonal and trying to decide who is boss.

If blood is drawn you should seperate them but one of my piggies had a patch of fur pulled out and a wee scab but I left them together and they sorted it out.

Do they have a big cage? Do they get out much? Do they have two of everything as in 2 water bottles and bowls and bedroom areas? This would maybe stop the arguing. I think space is the most important factor in boars getting along.

Hope this helps :)
Thanks. I hope it is just hormones or I'll be gutted. :( I have recently got them a bigger cage and yes it's suitable for 2 guinea pigs. They come out every evening for a long run around. They don't have 2 of everything no but they don't seem to argue over things in the cage like the food or water bowl. They have got a house and a hay tunnel so I guess they could use both of those for sleeping. Sometimes they sleep together and sometimes they don't although they still sleep quite close. They do a lot of bum wiggling and making noises (can't think what it is called) and Smudge sometimes tries to hump Puddles.

Debbie32

Reaction score
Hi, i had this with my boys,blood was drawn and i had to seperate them. It didnt improve at all with them so had to re group the other guineas. With that in mind i had to get the boys neutered so they could mix with the girls. whilst alot of people have said it doesnt change their behaviour i have found that Duracell has calmed down alot but i lost Guiness after his op and i am sure that Duracell now knows he isnt about hence him calming down? I will also say Duracell was always trying to hump Guiness too!

I hope it works out for you though and the boys settle with each other again

Ruffles

Reaction score
Hi, i had this with my boys,blood was drawn and i had to seperate them. It didnt improve at all with them so had to re group the other guineas. With that in mind i had to get the boys neutered so they could mix with the girls. whilst alot of people have said it doesnt change their behaviour i have found that Duracell has calmed down alot but i lost Guiness after his op and i am sure that Duracell now knows he isnt about hence him calming down? I will also say Duracell was always trying to hump Guiness too!

I hope it works out for you though and the boys settle with each other again
Thank you and sorry for your loss. Did you lose Guiness because of the op or was it something else? :(

TwoPiggies

Reaction score
Thanks. I hope it is just hormones or I'll be gutted. :( I have recently got them a bigger cage and yes it's suitable for 2 guinea pigs. They come out every evening for a long run around. They don't have 2 of everything no but they don't seem to argue over things in the cage like the food or water bowl. They have got a house and a hay tunnel so I guess they could use both of those for sleeping. Sometimes they sleep together and sometimes they don't although they still sleep quite close. They do a lot of bum wiggling and making noises (can't think what it is called) and Smudge sometimes tries to hump Puddles.
Rumble strutting? My piggie Sam still does this now and then when dillon jumps back in the cage next to him. Apparently it is lke saying hello but reminding who is boss. Mind you neither of mine seem to be boss :{

Ruffles

Reaction score
Rumble strutting? My piggie Sam still does this now and then when dillon jumps back in the cage next to him. Apparently it is lke saying hello but reminding who is boss. Mind you neither of mine seem to be boss :{
Lol, so that's what it's called. Well all quiet today but I won't hold my breath. :{

Debbie32

Reaction score
Hi again, yes i lost him through the operation, he got pnemonia. However Duracell is absolutely fine,he is missed but i know i got the op done for the right reason and he would of been happy with the girls. Its just such aa massive massive shame bless him!

Debbie32

Reaction score
Hi again, yes i lost him through the operation, he got pnemonia. However Duracell is absolutely fine,he is missed but i know i got the op done for the right reason and he would of been happy with the girls. Its just such aa massive massive shame bless him!

Ruffles

Reaction score
Sorry. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.