• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Advice please.

Status
Not open for further replies.

pusscat2

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi my piggy Nibbles had a surprise litter a couple of weeks ago and I have some concerns.

1) Should I let her have a bit of time to herself as she is feeding 6 and doesn't seem to be left alone for long.

2) She was living with her daughter from a previous litter and I separated them thinking that the vet had got it wrong and she was a he only to find out later that they can breed at 3 wks I thought it was 5. Anyway she wont let the daughter back in now can I help some how?

I know I probably sound stupid but I'm just trying to repair any damage that I may have done.

Please help.

Reaction score
hello - I only have boars so I don't have any experience of pregnant/nursing sows, but there have been plenty of baby piggies born recently on here so lots of experienced owners - hang on!

lauralucy

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
i dont have any experience either but i would be tempted to take mum out and give her some attention and perhaps feed her on your lap to give her time away.

i would also wait until the babies are weaned and then try all females togetehr, it may just be that she has enough on her plate and doesnt want older daughter there?

hope you manage to sort it out.

Hanwombat

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Have you managed to sex all the six babies? for when you have to seperate the boars and with six pups id imagine their would be boars.

I'm not very knowledgeable with sows and pups as I only have boars.

pusscat2

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Yes I have. I took Mum and older daughter and the new pups to the vet last week. There are 3 of each the vet is also going to check them over again next week.

Shauna

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
if mum wont accept the older daughter back couldnt you put one of the girl babies with the older daughter and leave the other 2 with the mum?

Sophie

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
hi
the boys must be removed at 3 weeks as they will be able to impregnate any girls. if the girls are 6 weeks then they can be removed from mum and put in with your other sow or you can try the older sow with all the girls including mum. If your older girl is a boy then the baby boys can go in with him at 3 weeks. As the babys are a bit older then you can give mum abit of space by maybe having her on your knee for 10 mins giving her some veggies :)) but she may not be happy with this and in that case leave her with the babies. :)
Good Luck and please post some baby pigtures! drool
Sophie x

pusscat2

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
if mum wont accept the older daughter back couldnt you put one of the girl babies with the older daughter and leave the other 2 with the mum?

Yes that is one of the options I had thought of but I was hoping that Crackle the older daughter could go back to Mum as she is acting depressed.

pusscat2

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
hi
the boys must be removed at 3 weeks as they will be able to impregnate any girls. if the girls are 6 weeks then they can be removed from mum and put in with your other sow or you can try the older sow with all the girls including mum. If your older girl is a boy then the baby boys can go in with him at 3 weeks. As the babys are a bit older then you can give mum abit of space by maybe having her on your knee for 10 mins giving her some veggies :)) but she may not be happy with this and in that case leave her with the babies. :)
Good Luck and please post some baby pigtures! drool
Sophie x

The babies are only two weeks old at the moment but don't worry I am calender watching! How many boys can live happily together? I have two males in one set up and 3 in another who seem to get on fine.

Sophie

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
The babies are only two weeks old at the moment but don't worry I am calender watching! How many boys can live happily together? I have two males in one set up and 3 in another who seem to get on fine.

oh good! how old is your male pair? if they are older (over 2 perhaps) you could possibly add a baby to them and then hae your other babys as a pair. i know some people have more than 3 boys together but it can end up in fights once the babies meet maturity!
sophie x

pusscat2

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
oh good! how old is your male pair? if they are older (over 2 perhaps) you could possibly add a baby to them and then hae your other babys as a pair. i know some people have more than 3 boys together but it can end up in fights once the babies meet maturity!
sophie x

The pair are a year old is that old enough? No fights please boys! x

Status
Not open for further replies.