• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Advice URTI

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

snugglypig

Hi everyone,

Have just got back from vets with Perky one of my Himmi's.
Late last night had very noisy rattly breathing, big deep open mouthed breathing.
Has a Bacteria Upper Respiratory infection
But not my usual vet Grrrrrrr, anyway has been given Baytril oral Suspension 0.2 ml's twice a day.

I asked for a di-contestant as his nose is greeny and blocked but she wouldn't give me anything, also asked for pro-biotic but no, I picked up probitic yoghurt will that be ok, although he isn't keen and not really eating as breathing through mouth.

What else can I do?
Any suggestions on what to give?

Also he shares with his brother who I took along and he is fine, I have a problem as I can not separate them, as they pine for each other. They had might as well be Siamese twins as they are permanently joined to each other Lol and I think separating will cause more stress

Suggestions Please

Thank you and sorry its so long

Karen

Re: Advice UTI

Hi Karen,
are you sure the vet said he has a UTI? That's a urinary tract infection and doesn't affect the breathing as far as I'm aware.

As for helping him breathe, I know that some people put a small dap of vicks on their nose. If he won't eat the probiotic on his own, you will have to syringe feed him. Do you have any 1ml syringes? If he's not eating his veggies, you will need to feed him some critical care or recovery so that he still gets his nutrients.

I hope someone with more knowledge comes on with some more advice for you soon as mine is very basic.
good luck and let us know how you get on
x

That doesn't sound like a UTI! As Deb mentioned, UTI does not affect breathing.

Like Deb says try a bit of vick on his nose and also a drop of olbas oil on a tissue, placed where Perky can't reach it (cos the tissue will be eaten)

Maybe he has a really bad cold? Is it just his nose and breathing that is shallow? Does he sound wheezy at all?

xx

Probably said an URTI ( Upper Respiratory Tract Infection ) ?

Hi Guys

Sorry miss print on my behalf upper respiritory infection URTI not UTI feel a real twit on that one

thanks

karen

Sorry to read Perky is not well at the moment. One of my himmies has just come down with a URI too. :-[ so know how you are feeling.

My pigs also on Baytril but on 0.4ml twice a day, and I also give him some sudafed which seems to help with his blocked up nose. Dabbing some vick on his nose as well. .

Fortunately hes still eating, so I am not having to handfeed him at the moment.

If you have a Pets at Home store near you, they do sell probiotics now, if you cant find any elsewhere.

I havent separated my pig from his partner as I think they can cause more stress for the animal so best to leave them with their friend.

Hope Perky is feeling better soon.

Deb x

kellyandpiggies said:
Also for a speedier recovery, you can give 0.5ml of Baytril twice daily.

From experience I think the higher dose is better too, helps to fight the infection quicker. I always now give 0.4ml x 2 a day. Vets always say 0.2ml.

Respiratatory problems are always tricky so the quicker the infection is being tackled the better.

Deb x

True. My vet here said that 0.5ml was always the dosage they used.

I've always used/had from vets dosage of 0.5ml

kellyandpiggies said:
True. My vet here said that 0.5ml was always the dosage they used.

I've always used/had from vets dosage of 0.5ml

Hi everyone,

the vet 0.2mls x twice daily, and has only given me enough for 5 days so I am going to ring for more and pick up tommorrow
his nose is still blocked I am using the vick and I will get some sudafed in a bit.

bit is not eating have puried up some veggies and syringed in but he fights l think this is because he is mouth breathing

will keep you all posted

karen

you really need to force feed him a little more- I know he may fight, but to give him the best chance of fighting the URTI he has to have energy within himself in order to so.

Can you get some critical care? If not, then try a jar of baby food and water it down a bit more - it goes down nicer!

Piggiewiggy said:
Hi Karen,

How's it going?

Michele

He is still much the same have been pushing more food taking a bit but not lots will just keep trying.
he tries to wheek but nose so block a little grunt only a little grunt comes out.

hoping may be some improvement tommorow as would of had 4 lots of anti biotics

thanks karen

Hi piggiewiggy

yes have been giving water aswell thanks

he is less stuffy at 9.30 this evening and did try some lettuce will keep syringing tomorrow

thanks everyone

karen

Pleased to hear he was less stuffy. Is it possible that he's worse in the day time? Meaning he might have a slight allergy too?

Hi everyone,

just to update you all.
Perky nose seems to be clearing today, hardly any snuffles today although his chest is still rattling.
he has eaten Grass,Parsley and some dry food tonight YIPPEE.
Decided to put him out in his run as it was a nice day he did abit of sunning himself so hopefully the warmth made him feel a bit better.

Karen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back