• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Advice wanted please

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacs

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Just a quick question really I have had mix answers on this one...

Would any of you recommend giving you piggies the fresh food straight from the fridge?

I have heard your not suppose to as it gives them stomach ache with it being so cold..what do you all do?

oh I never really thought about it, my girls soon trough most of it down apart from the strawberry fruit (leaves go straight away) which stays for a few hours before they eat it so wondering now whether its too cold for them?

I have never heard that before...mine comes straight from the fridge....maybe 10 mins before I actually fed them ....will be curious to see what everyone else says xx

Mine is pretty much straight from the fridge, although I sometimes try and leave the carrots out for a bit. Fruit is straight from the fruit bowl which is out anyway. xx

Veg such as cucumber, celery etc I give it straight away but I leave carrots for a bit

I always give it straight from the fridge. I don't keep my carrots in the fridge so don't have to worry about that. Mine wolf it down pretty quickly :))

Thanks for your answers as I never give them from the fridge as I was worried I was going to give them stomach ache but I did think well there wouldn't eat if there thought it was too cold for them. I am just too over-protective I think :))

Also I felt like I have thrown alot of veg out that has gone off because it was not in the fridge if i have left them out a couple of hours esp in the warmer months, I think my plans are going to change :):)

I agree with you on that, if something was giving them tummy ache they would certainly be less inclined to eat it so maybe its not true in all cases.

Thanks for your answers as I never give them from the fridge as I was worried I was going to give them stomach ache but I did think well there wouldn't eat if there thought it was too cold for them. I am just too over-protective I think :))

Also I felt like I have thrown alot of veg out that has gone off because it was not in the fridge if i have left them out a couple of hours esp in the warmer months, I think my plans are going to change :):)

Keep it in the fridge. Any that you think you may not use, make soup out of. That's what I do. We call it fridge soup, although with my lot, I don't often have to make it. rolleyes x

I keep some of the veggies in the conservatory at this time of year as it's like a fridge!
I take all of them out of the fridge / conservatory and by the time I've weighed it all out it's warmed up. Carrots or lettuce leaves that are too cold I just run under a luke warm tap to take the chill off because I'd read somewhere you shouldn't give veggies straight out the fridge. Don't know where though so could be dreaming that! lol

Yes I must have read the same thing not to give them straight out of the fridge hence the question but as most of you seem to see no problem in it and I guess your piggies have no problems with it either I think my veggies will be staying in the fridge and I will take them out just before I feed them. I never keep carrots in the fridge anyway so that would never be a problem so I will just see how it goes and how my piggies like it. :)

Oooh mine come straight from the fridge, they stand literally for a few mins then go straight in to the cage and out to the shed, I've always done this:{
I've heard (from a manky garden centre) that veg from a fridge is bad for them but having said that they didn't even feed veg to their piggies.

Well I tried this morning with feeding straight from the fridge and my two still wolved down their breakfasts so i don't think they mind if it came from the fridge or not, I think by the time i prepared it all it had been out 5 mins or so anyway so I think from now on I will just leave it all in the fridge. Thanks to you all for your advice :)

My piggies' veggies are straight from the fridge too - never really thought of it before now!

I've heard (from a manky garden centre) that veg from a fridge is bad for them but having said that they didn't even feed veg to their piggies.

I was told and have also read in many books that food from the fridge can be harmful to gps because of the cold in the tummies. I always leave mine at room temperature just to be on the safe side.

Mine are always given straight from the fridge although for some reason I always warm the cucumber up under warm water first.

Given the noise my boys make when the fridge opens, I can't imagine them waiting for me to warm the veg up before they got stuck in!

I had never heard about not feeding stuff from the fridge til I came on here but it's never bothered my boys. In the summer they love a icy piece of celery or cucumber and at this time of the year they still don't seem to mind although they do like a wee bit of porridge now and again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back