• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Advise On Keeping A Single Piggie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steph linden

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I have just adopted a 2 year old male piggie all I have are females and my neutered boy. What is the best way to introduce them to each other until I get him neutered.? I don't want him to be lonely he has lived his whole life to this point alone.

Is there any way you can keep their cages next to each other so they can talk through the bars ?

I have successfully bonded piggies by having their cages next to each other. they can talk and sniff through the bars without any dominance danger.

Keep him next to some other piggies, so he can have safe interaction and stimulation through the bars. Single boars can live next to sows or mixed groups without problems, as there is no boar-boar bond that could be at risk.

PS: Please consider quarantining first unless your guinea pigs has been adopted from a rescue with a mandatory quarantine.
https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/threads/importance-of-quarantine.108034/

A
Keep him next to some other piggies, so he can have safe interaction and stimulation through the bars. Single boars can live next to sows or mixed groups without problems, as there is no boar-boar bond that could be at risk.

PS: Please consider quarantining first unless your guinea pigs has been adopted from a rescue with a mandatory quarantine.
https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/threads/importance-of-quarantine.108034/[/QUOTE
he has Been kept on cedar chips and not well cared for what would you suggest to bath him in?

If you can't get a special gorgeous guinea shampoo shipped, use a mild baby shampoo. But with that background, I would definitely recommend a 2-3 week quarantine so he cannot carry any bugs across to your own piggies. Fungal infections have about a 10-14 days incubation period before they break out. just the stress from moving homes can also trigger typical opportunists like mange mites etc.

Ok I will set him up his own place in the kitchen he has been at the shelter for almost a week so far he seems to be alright besides his toe nails and teeth were really Long and had to be cut way back. They were just feeding him pellets in a hutch.
Where do I get gorgeous guinea shampoo?

Ok great I'll will order some stuff! That's the problem with the USA we don't really have and real guinea pig products or shelters here. Out local shelter is for dogs and cats they no nothing about small animals. Thanks for the info.

Ok great I'll will order some stuff! That's the problem with the USA we don't really have and real guinea pig products or shelters here. Out local shelter is for dogs and cats they no nothing about small animals. Thanks for the info.

There are actually a couple of good guinea pig rescues listed for your state, but generally, there are a lot less compared to here in Britain. :(
http://www.guinealynx.info/rescue_organizations.html#MD (in cooperation with Guinea Lynx website)

Yes there are a few. I have been to a few and they are not really that great. But we do have one in Maryland that is awesome.

Yes there are a few. I have been to a few and they are not really that great. But we do have one in Maryland that is awesome.

Which one is that? Guinea Lynx and our forum are always happy to update our lists!

It's actually a Virginia one but it's right on the Maryland line it's called Metropolitan Guinea Pig Rescue is a non-profit Virginia corporation that rescues, rehabilitates, and finds new homes for guinea pigs in the DC, Maryland, and Virginia area. We also work to educate the public on the proper care of guinea pigs.

It's actually a Virginia one but it's right on the Maryland line it's called Metropolitan Guinea Pig Rescue is a non-profit Virginia corporation that rescues, rehabilitates, and finds new homes for guinea pigs in the DC, Maryland, and Virginia area. We also work to educate the public on the proper care of guinea pigs.

We have got that one on the list already. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back