• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Advise please - ringworm

Nala Poppy

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi I am new to this forum, I am looking for advise on my situation, we have two beautiful young boy guinea pigs they are kept in a large Indoor c&c cage, they are really lovely looked after guineapigs, but one of them is suffering from the vet thinks ringworm, we have treated the guineapigs with medicine only for it to come back again a couple of months later, they eat lots of veg but nothing sugary that could contribute to mold(ringworm), we have started bathing in nizoral and putting clotromidazole on affected guineapig, my issue is I have just found out I am pregnant so this will be a lot harder now and I feel I am not doing my best for the guineapigs as I am just researching it all, I am considering giving them to someone who could look after them better but I am very fearful of how animals are treated by some people especially guineapigs so I am here looking for advise, I have never posted on the internet before so please bear with me than

Piggies&buns

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Please don’t think you’re not doing the best for them - you sound like you are a very caring owner.

When you treated them first time round, did you clean down your and their environment as well. Spores can live within the home for a very long time and survive in in wooden items, bedding etc. We recommend cleaning down everything with F10 vet grade disinfectant, washing all their bedding on a very hot wash.

I’ve added in a guide below to help with further information

Ringworm: Hygiene And Pictures

Nala Poppy

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Thank you :) I do clean but just with normal guineapig cleaning spray, there bedding is megazorb also, 1 thing I haven’t mentioned is this has spread to one of my children which has made me very upset as it is very hard to get rid of, I also feel that now I am pregnant me being the one that cleans them out looks after them now has health risks for unborn, I am getting very anxious over guineapig who is affected that maybe he isn’t in the best of hands now, I never thought I could think about giving away an animal but I feel it is best for them with all the above reasons, we love these two guineapigs my children especially but I fear that with this going on a few months that with me going to have a baby this could get worse for him I just couldn’t give them to the wrong hands, it is such a shame that they are going through this as they are really looked after so well with us

Piggies&buns

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
The normal cleaning spray possibly isn’t good enough to deal with something like ringworm. I’d really recommend you order F10, you can get it from amazon. It’s fab stuff but You would need to soak any wooden items in the solution for several hours for it to kill the spores. I buy it undiluted and make up a spray solution myself and use it to do a deep clean every month.

Please dont be hard on yourself, it’s clear you really care.
To my knowledge there isn’t any risks to an unborn baby (it’s been almost 10 years since I was pregnant last time though so my pregnancy knowledge isn’t fresh) but I understand your position.
Is there somebody else who could deal with the treatment and cleaning for you so you can keep your contact with them to a minimum ie just feeding them with gloves on for example?
If you do truly feel you can’t keep them, then do speak to a rescue centre about surrendering the piggies to them.

Last edited: