• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

• Thread starter Deleted member 126952
  • Start date
Are they adult pigs, or small enough to still be growing? If they are still growing, that could at least give you a relative ballpark based on weight and when they finally max out in the growth department (usually attaining full size within the first year, possibly a few months less.) If they are already adults, you could look for some clues... pigs tend to get thicker, curlier nails as they age, for instance. Young pigs have sharper, less twisty nails. Prime-of-life pigs (say from attaining full size to age four or four and a half) have a padded feel... older pigs feel bonier through the shoulders and hips as they lose muscle mass. Watching for those kinds of changes could give you some signs along the way, but it is a hard thing to gauge sometimes when they are adults!

If you’re not sure, don’t worry too much. You’ll know if they’re fully grown due to size.
Elderly piggies tend to have toes that bend outwards slightly I find, and more brittle nails.
Either way, enjoy your piggies :)

It's something you get used to when you rescue piggies. I only know the age of one of my sows ( Sparkle) and that is because she was born in the rescue and I adopted her and her Mum.

Last edited by a moderator:
what do i do if i dont know age of my piggies
My Choc Agouti rescue piggies were probably all over 4 as one had a cataract and all had little twisted toes! It doesn’t really matter what their age is except when the Vet asks! I usually just say “ over 4” when booking new ones in!

Back