• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Aggressive Boar

beanjaminfranklin

New Born Pup
Reaction score
About a year ago, I adopted a male guinea pig (Tato) to keep my first male (Bean) company. I did the introduction process slowly, but they were never able to bond and Tato bit Bean so we separated them permanently. Tato is super aggressive and dominant, he demanded to be the alpha and the bite wound was really serious, it required numerous vet visits. Now we're back to the drawing board, we don't want either of them to be lonely.
• If we had Tato neutered, would it be feasible to try to bond him with a female? or would he be equally as aggressive toward a female as he was to a male?
• Do some boars just do better as single pigs?
• If it's not safe to try to bond Tato with a female, would it be possible to get a sow companion for Bean without negatively affecting Tato? would the smell of a female out of his reach be harmful to Tato?
Thanks everyone!
Sincerely, an overly anxious pig mom!

He’s not aggressive. They just didn’t suit each other personality wise. Yes you could neuter him and bond him with a sow (6 weeks after surgery). If you did that, and bonded Bean with a boar then they’d have to live in a separate room - sow pheromones can cause a rift/break in boar bonds.

Are they currently living side by side? The best way to get them friends is to take them dating at a rescue. That way they could choose their own friend. If there are none nearby then you will need a plan B (in case they don’t get on) if you get them from elsewhere.

Bonding shouldn’t be done slowly. You have to put them together and let it play out - either they get on or they don’t. Earring and doing it all over again the next day is stressful for them, and also means they start from the beginning each time they’re interrupted and separated.

PS please add your location to your profile. State or country is enough.
Guinea Lynx :: US Guinea Pig Rescue and Shelter Organizations

:agr: but also to add that if their cages are side by side then they currently aren’t lonely as they can interact through the bars, so don’t worry about loneliness. It is, of course, better to have a live in friend where possible though. In your situation I think I’d look to neuter both and bond them both with a sow each. As siikibam has said you can’t bond one with a sow and one with a boar as the boar pair relationship would be unlikely to work if there was a sow present With the other piggy.

Their cages are currently on opposite sides of the living room, they're each in a 2x4 C&C cage so we dont have the room for them to be side by side :(
I'll have to see if there's a pig rescue near me that i can take him to to date, but if there isnt are there any tips i can use to find the right sow for him?

Their cages are currently on opposite sides of the living room, they're each in a 2x4 C&C cage so we dont have the room for them to be side by side :(
I'll have to see if there's a pig rescue near me that i can take him to to date, but if there isnt are there any tips i can use to find the right sow for him?

they possibly won’t be able to interact from that far of a distance - their sight isn’t great and they do a lot of their interaction through body language and smell.

once a piggy is neutered they haveto remain away from sows for six weeks afterwards to give them time to become infertile. So you’ve got plenty of time to get in touch with rescues etc.

there arent really any tips to finding the right sow - it all comes down to character compatibility and mutual liking and without putting two piggies together you simply have no Way of knowing how it will go

Back