• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Aggressive humping !

Oreo&Reese

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I went to refill the hay for my piggies before going to bed. They both come out of their hideys when they hear a bag rumble. I don’t know what I triggered😅 but my boy Oreo kept aggressively trying to hump Reese. They’ve been in the same cage since I got them in March and they’ve been fine. I kept shooing Oreo away because Reese was trying to eat but Oreo kept getting in the way. It didn’t matter if it was his face, side, or back. I also am not a fan of cleaning boar glue. I ended up putting Oreo in a separate cage for the night. He was making a lot of noise before I left. Reese was completely unbothered and went on with eating. Any advice, tips, knowledge please And thank you!

Excessive humping is a mild dominance behaviour.
Mine do it very frequently, It looks unpleasant to us humans but it’s perfectly normal for guinea pigs to do this. Unless they’re fighting and hurting each other there’s no reason to separate them

:agr: Humping is normal and is not a reason to separate them. Please put them back together leave them to be boars! Boars should only be separated is there is a full on fight. When you put them back together they will now likely reassert their dominance.

Also don’t shoo Oreo away, he’s just doing what piggies do. If they expel boar glue then they do it, you can’t change that I’m afraid. It’s also very sticky so not sure how you can clean it up. If it gets on them just leave the hair to grow out and it will hopefully fall off itself or you can cut it out carefully.

Hey everyone, I went to refill the hay for my piggies before going to bed. They both come out of their hideys when they hear a bag rumble. I don’t know what I triggered😅 but my boy Oreo kept aggressively trying to hump Reese. They’ve been in the same cage since I got them in March and they’ve been fine. I kept shooing Oreo away because Reese was trying to eat but Oreo kept getting in the way. It didn’t matter if it was his face, side, or back. I also am not a fan of cleaning boar glue. I ended up putting Oreo in a separate cage for the night. He was making a lot of noise before I left. Reese was completely unbothered and went on with eating. Any advice, tips, knowledge please And thank you!

Hi!

Welcome to the world of teenage boars! Oreo has obviously experienced his first hormone spike but his behaviour is still on the harmless if annoying side. Please remove any huts with just one exit and do not interfere to destabilise the bond as your will see more dominance behaviour when they are going back together.

Please take the time to read our boar information. It is very important for you to know what to expect, what to tolerate and when you really need to step in in the coming 10 months.
A Comprehensive Guide to Guinea Pig Boars (including a chapter on boar do's and dont's)
Boars: Teenage, Bullying, Fighting, Fall-outs And What Next?
Bonding and Interaction: Illustrated social behaviours and bonding dynamics
Dominance Behaviours In Guinea Pigs
Boar Care: Bits, Bums & Baths (including boar glue and semen rods, and how to deal with excess semen fluid which is pretty common especially in teenage boars although you can see it adults, too)

Back