• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

All 3 Pairs Stopped Eating Nuggets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mother Hubbard

Forum Donator 2023/24
Reaction score
So every day I refill the bowls, yesterday I noticed that only some of the food had been eaten, so I didn't refill. Today I checked again, and the nuggets (burgess) haven't really been touched.

I have 3 lots of pairs in separate hutches, they are eating vegetables, it's difficult to see if they are eating hay since they are stuffed with hay and obviously it gets trampled on. Any suggestions? It's clean out day and nail cutting and general check over.

Also I should add, it's a 10kg Burgess bag so it's not as if it's a new bag or anything and have been eating it just fine.

It's just a bit weird that all 3 lots have stopped. I'm going to syringe feed, yes all 6 of them to ensure they get their food.

I would appreciate suggestions.

Thanks.

That's really odd. Had it got a bit damp? I had a big bag that got a bit damp and mine wouldn't eat it. Also they all stopped eating the Burgess black currant and oregano part way through a bag. No idea why, cos they still eat the mint one. .

I have made the experience that the Tribe has gone off Excel Burgess rather quickly a couple of times. I only feed small portions several times a day so I can keep an eye on the intake and it can get messed up or spoiled.

if you are worried about the food intake, please feed little but often, and do the same with the hay. Usually you notice hay that has been eaten when you compare the leftovers with fresh hay - the new one should be a lot greener as piggies tend to leave the more unattractive bits.

If necessary, switch to weighing daily at the same time in the feeding cycle (before their dinner is a good time) and see whether there is a loss of weight over the course of 2-3 days.

That's really odd. Had it got a bit damp? I had a big bag that got a bit damp and mine wouldn't eat it. Also they all stopped eating the Burgess black currant and oregano part way through a bag. No idea why, cos they still eat the mint one. .

That's not a bad suggestion, their food is stored in a big tub with lid in a downstairs part of a hutch outside, everything has been fine that I can feel but you never can tell I guess. I'm due to get another bag, so will keep that indoors and see, and purchase some blackcurrant oregano too and put them in two bowls and see what goes first.

I have made the experience that the Tribe has gone off Excel Burgess rather quickly a couple of times. I only feed small portions several times a day so I can keep an eye on the intake and it can get messed up or spoiled.

if you are worried about the food intake, please feed little but often, and do the same with the hay. Usually you notice hay that has been eaten when you compare the leftovers with fresh hay - the new one should be a lot greener as piggies tend to leave the more unattractive bits.

If necessary, switch to weighing daily at the same time in the feeding cycle (before their dinner is a good time) and see whether there is a loss of weight over the course of 2-3 days.

That's a good idea also, I've just spent hours deep cleaning the hutches and thorough washing of bowls etc so hope if there is anything housing that is affecting them all I have negated that. I didn't get time to weight them all tonight before the darkness and dampness came down, wanted to make sure their heat pads were in and were toasty. I'll get their weights finished tomorrow and I'll probably also treat them with Xeno, I'm sure they are well overdue a treatment. I do keep a piggy diary, thanks to the forum for that excellent tip.

I've put fresh food in and some of their favourite food - rocket. I'll check on their intake in the morning.

Great advice, will keep you posted.

UPDATE: Check their bowls this morning and they haven't eaten their Burgess, they did eat their fresh food and hay from what I can see. So I have ordered some Bunny Dream Basic from Zoo-bio. I know Bunny is more expensive and I have used it before, it was the cheapest I could find around. But they loved it before, so fingers crossed. In the meantime, I'll get some Burgess Blackcurrant Oregano from Kennelgate today, actually I may just to go to P@H and pick up some lovely carrot hay houses.

I'll put the feed into another bowl in small amounts and see how that goes down. Fingers crossed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back