• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Allergic to Hay?

denverguineas

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
My sweet teddy boy Dulce has been itching himself constantly since I got him. I took him to the vets to see if it was ringworm or mites but the vet said he was perfectly healthy. I noticed that he itches most often when I put fresh hay in the cage or when he's lying in it (it's his favorite spot in the world). I've tried multiple different hay brands and nothing made a difference. Do you think he could just be allergic to the hay? He doesn't act any different, it's just the itching. Or is it normal for guinea pigs to be itching all the time around hay?

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
My sweet teddy boy Dulce has been itching himself constantly since I got him. I took him to the vets to see if it was ringworm or mites but the vet said he was perfectly healthy. I noticed that he itches most often when I put fresh hay in the cage or when he's lying in it (it's his favorite spot in the world). I've tried multiple different hay brands and nothing made a difference. Do you think he could just be allergic to the hay? He doesn't act any different, it's just the itching. Or is it normal for guinea pigs to be itching all the time around hay?
Hi! It is rare, but not impossible that he could be allergic to hay dust.

Other things to look at are:
- dry air from radiators or air conditioning
- scented air fresheners or scent sticks
- human scented toiletry products