• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Allergies

Status
Not open for further replies.

GP1881

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi. I'm new to this & posted in the wrong place. Sorry.

I'm seriously thinking of getting 2 guinea pigs. But my husband is allergic to dogs/cats hair. I was wondering if any of you are also allergic to similar, but are ok with GPs? I managed to get him to visit a large pet shop, but he wouldn't handle a GO. There were 16 GPs, about 8 rabbits and many other pets, visiting the in-store vet. No serious effects to hubby.
I've owned GPs before (in my teens. I'm now in my 40s!) & I've read up on stuff. So close to getting GPs. Any advice welcome. Thanks.

Welcome to the forum. We have already spoken but I just wanted to welcome you.

I am allergic to cats(sneezing, wheezing,and swelling if scratched). Have not reacted to guinea pigs but do have to be careful handling their hay! Another alternative would be to try hairless/'skinny' pigs? Do be very careful, allergies can be serious.

Hi, I have a cat allergy and asthma but my two guinea pigs don't affect me and I have been able to handle them closely with no affects but the hay does sometimes.

My younger sister has a cat allergy but has never reacted to the guinea pigs.

Thanks everyone. I go my 2 little guinea pigs today! :) both females. No names yet.

Congratulations! I bet there adorable! :D

Thanks. We've handled them a little this evening. Now letting them settle.
Should I handle them as much as possible, even though they always run & hide? Or best to just try & stroke them from whilst in their cage for a few weeks?
Proud mummy :) lol

Should I handle them as much as possible, even though they always run & hide? Or best to just try & stroke them from whilst in their cage for a few weeks?

Probably best to let them settle for awhile, try giving them vegetables and seeing if they'll let you stroke there heads. When I first got my two they were pretty scared, so i'd put veg in and just put my hands in the enclosure, so they got use to me (my hands) just being there for the first week.

I would let them settle in for a week and let them get used to you and the new environment. I understand it is tempting to hold them but they will be quite stressed at first.

Thanks everyone. I've talked to them several times today & given them plenty of veggies. I've put a few in their hay tunnel, to try & encourage them out to eat, but feel more secure at the same time.

Thanks everyone. I go my 2 little guinea pigs today! :) both females. No names yet.

Exciting congratulations! The will grow in confidence over the next few weeks. Any questions please just ask.

Thanks sport_Billy. They became more vocal tonight & gradually came out from hiding & actually are some food & looked out at us a little. They both ended up in their hidey house & there were quite a few different noises made. Squeezing, rumbling. Sounded like they may have been fighting! But, we left them alone & now all is quiet. Sleeping I guess. :)

Toffee & Fudge are getting use to us & becoming more brave. Haven't handled them since the first night we brought them home. Just talk to them loads, show my hands, etc I have managed to hold a piece of broccoli in my hand, which Fudge took from me! Taking things VERY slowly. Your links on here have been SO helpful - thanks! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back