• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Allergy help

Quercus

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi all, new here so hello all.
I need some help, I have two beautiful piggies but my partner has developed an allergy to them so any advice to help out would be appreciated. My only other option would be to find new homes for them but would need to be very sure where they were going and totally sure that they would be well looked after. Its not an option I want to take but it may be necessary if I cannot find any other solution. I'm in Shropshire, UK, is there anywhere in this county that reliably finds good homes for them?.

If this is in the wrong forum, place, please fell free to move my above post.

Many thanks.

I cope with my allergies mainly by avoiding Timothy hay at all costs, for some reason that type of hay is a big issue for those with allergies, meadow or orchard grass give me the least reactions. An air purifier will also help! :) If he interacts with the piggies then long sleeves, washing his hands after etc and if he's feeding them hay or cleaning them, I use a face mask and disposable gloves. Luckily over time my allergies have got less and less, 10 years ago I wouldn't be able to breathe while cleaning my piggies out, but now I just sneeze here and there and occasionally get rashes, as long as I continue to avoid timothy hay.

I'm afraid i've no idea about rehoming in your area, but I hope the above is at least a little help.

Have a look on Recommended Guinea Pig Rescues to see if there is a recommended rescue near you. These are guaranteed rescues who will make sure that your piggies find a good new home where they will be well looked after if that need arises.

Hello Eriathwen, thank you for your kind reply, I do use Timothy hay every day and have had my suspicions about it. I'm the one who cleans them, feeds them and cuts their nails etc so have tried to minimise the problem as much as we can but she is still suffering badly. We already have a dehumidifier with hepa filters that cleans the air. Will try and see if different hay helps my lady, I will be heartbroken if we do have to rehome my piggies.

Adrian

Hello Betsy, thank you for that list, if all else fails that may be the only option.

Adrian

Where do you keep your pigs? My husband has really severe asthma, the one winter we had the pigs inside made him really ill and that was after keeping them on fleece and lots of hoovering to keep the dust down.

Our pigs now live outside/in the shed over winter. @Betsy has an amazing set up for her group as well. It maybe an option for you to consider?

Thank you for the idea Tewdric, it is a possibility but I think I would feel mean leaving them outside all year and the local wild foxes may be a bit noisy and problem for them at night.

I was coming on to suggest housing then outside. I’m sure there are some people who could help you with making their housing Fox proof. There’s a member who’s piggies are outside year round, can’t remember her now though! 🤦🏾‍♀️

I think firstly we are going to try a different type hay instead of Timothy, does anyone know of a good supplier of fresh meadow or orchard hay as suggested by Eriathwen above that is not chopped up too much like the stuff from some shops tyends to be - if its not too expensive delivered that would be good too but anything goes when it comes to the piggies health and diet!.

Keeping them outside would be an option Siikibam and far better than rehousing them if we cannot find another solution, thank you for your suggestion and help.

Is there a farm near you? I get mine from my local farm. It is lovely organic stuff and the piggies love it! It's only £6.00 for a huge farm bale. You may struggle to get it now though as I was told today that this is the last 2 bales until June/July time cos last year the weather was so bad for hay. Just an idea for the future though.

If you do want to house yours outside permanently I can give you some ideas.

Back