• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Allergy or infection?

Gadzy

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hello,

My guniea pig had an operation yesterday, but it's definitely nothing to do with the after effects because I had noticed this alot before the operation so it's nothing to do with it.

Basically she sneezes alot, like alot. Whenever I put hay in, pellets, anything. She sneezes. I also hear her sneezing on her own now and again when I don't give anything. A few weeks ago I checked up on her in the middle of the night and it sounded like her nose was blocked. I had a listen really closely and was coming from her nose like she had a blocked nose. It went after a day or so I believe. She came back from her op yesterday so I did the same and checked her at about 3am and noticed the same issue. A almost clicking sound like her nose is blocked again and it was a little runny. It's coming from her nose so all I can think is allergy? I have been using DUST EXTRACTED wood shavings which are good quality and alot of horse owners use them. I removed the woodshavings today and put some towels down which are there's to see if it helps. I have a post check up with the vet in five days so will ask then. I can only think it's the minimal dust in the hay and woodshavings given? The other pig is absolutely fine but as I said this one has always been sensitive to sneezing. It's one thing after the other with this 7 month old guniea pig :(

Siikibam

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
It could possibly be a sensitivity to the shavings, or dust from the hay as you’ve mentioned. Have a read of the irritant thread I’ve linked below and see if there’s anything on there that may be causing it. Otherwise I’d speak to the vet and see what they say.

Hope she has a good recovery.
Irritants to Avoid Around Guinea Pigs