• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Allergy To Pigs & Question?

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello all,
I used to have a 'pig and sadly and to rehome due to me getting sore throats, wheezy, headaches, runny nose etc but someone said it might of been the type of fur I might not be allergic to all types what's the truth in this I did try antihistamines
GuineaPigTheDarkKnightBatmanBruceWayne.jpg

and didn't work the fur looked a bit like this.. If something went wrong I'm sorry typing via tablet ha thanks!

GSB

Hello there. Welcome to the forum. The pig you show is a satin. It is therefore likely you will be allergic to all smooth haired piggies. What a pity.

I am not sure whether you would have a reaction to a "skinny"( hairless) piggy? I know there are some skinny owners on the forum, if one of them sees your post they might be able to advise you further.

I am not sure whether you would have a reaction to a "skinny"( hairless) piggy? I know there are some skinny owners on the forum, if one of them sees your post they might be able to advise you further.
Hiya and :wel:! I agree with @AuntyC !:)

They are hilariously cute! And hello :D

Hello :) Could it have been the hay that you are allergic to? I suffer from cat and dog allergies (triggering full-blown asthma attacks) so totally sympathise, it is totally miserable!

@helen105281 and @GloriousGuineaGirl both keep skinnies and are best placed to answer that line of thought :)

Welcome!

To my knowledge skinny and Rex piggies are actually worse for allergies, surprising huh?

I'm not as allergic to my long haired fuzzball, as I am my smooth haired, but they still have the allergens :)

It really depends on the person. Its the oil excreted by the animal by it's pores or urine that people are allergic to.

I am allergic to all pigs including my skinnies. When I touch their skin I'm fine as soon as their hairy noses or feet touch me I break out in hives and wheeze.

I am also allergic to cats and rabbits.

I am also allergic to hay so even when handling that I sneeze etc.

I combat this by taking an antihistamine a day and it works well.

Thats a shame you are allergic :( Are you sure its the piggie or maybe its the hay? We both have hayfever here and antihistamines in the spring just isnt enough! Dust masks help aswell as putting something (a sheet or over sized clothing) over yourself so the allergens don't stick to what you are wearing. It can be a pain but is worth it :)

That's bizarre but makes sense, sadly I think it's the piggy itself. I tried cetirizine and something else over the counter and it had no effect and something for hay fever. :(

Woah, that has to be terrible... Hope someone can give you some kind of valid solution for you.
And quite curious that skinnies are even worse for allergies, everyday I learn something new on this forum.

I wouldn't say they are worse just part of :) another reason why they are being dumped more as alot of descriptions you read say " suitable for allergy suffers" .... makes me so mad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back