• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Almost Goodbye

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I had an outbreak of allergies after cleaning cages Friday. I'm pretty sure thats what caused it. I had cleaned 1 cage and fluffed up others. Within a few hours my eyes were itching like crazy and blood red. I thought maybe i was just tired from not sleeping well for 2 nights. So i took some allergy meds and no luck. I tried a different pill and that helped some. I did some research and looked if there was an otc medicine that worked best. That and some eye drops make me look better. I didn't want to go out anywhere with my blood eyes. I was coming to the realization my piggies may have to go8...8....l I have 5 pigs now. Seriously rescued the 2 i posted about getting last week. This lady could've had a pet store in her home with all the animals she has. These piggies weren't getting proper care and love. They're happy now though. The 5th 1 i got is a bully so she has to be in a cage by herself. They were doing they're sniffing, checking each other out and Lucy freaked on them all. I even had their cages by next to each other for 5 days.The 4 that get along are in a big pen in my home. So anyways..my allergies have cleared up after 3 days of misery. Whatever caused it is not bothering me now. I read sometimes your body can to get used to something and may go away. I have plenty of allergy meds and eye drops on hand. I hope it never comes back. I was almost willing to put up with it but it was so bad. I'm soooo Happy now all my piggies are still here and that i wasn't so quick to give up. I love all my girls so much.. Heres pic of lucy(the bully).
2hy9jli.jpg

Some people may think i'm nuts for having 5. I ended up getting the 2 i posted about last week because the i told the lady i'd take them then changed my mind so she deleted the ad right away. I took them anyway and i'm so glad i did. I love their crazy hair. They are friendly too. This is them. Pattycakes(black) Ms. piggy(brown).
dfap8i.jpg
a84zo.jpg

I know what its like to have allergies but I know I build up tolerances to things - I am allergic to cats and dogs but as long as I stay around them I am fine, have a break and my allergies come back.

One of the reasons I dont want to use shavings as bedding is my allergies, I can cope with the hay as I can wear gloves to touch it as I had done all through farming but dust gets in your lungs so much.

I have antihistamines about all the time - mainly cos I react to some weird things, but as hayfever season comes upon us, I become more reactive, maybe the weather made you more allergic for a while and the antihistamines have now settled your immune system down again.

I use carefresh bedding. I now wear a dust mask and i have always worn gloves to clean cages. I'll open a window next time i clean too.

dont forget to wash your hands and arms and face - even if you have worn gloves. The wind we had last week made my skin itch like crazy and my scalp too - drove me mad but I couldnt (or wouldnt) wash my hair everyday so put up with it.

Oh yeah that too. I wash my hands alot as it is. I figured it would've happend faster. They were all here 2 days before i flared up. I guess all that bedding i dealt with did it. Just 2 pigs weren't bothering me. I had callie and snickers for a month or so.

I have to be on antihistamines all the time because I have hayfever virtually all year round even without the piggies. Sometimes, dusting during the height of the grass season would send me to the floor with a sneezing fit.

I am so glad for you and the piggies that it was just a one off.

I sure hope so.. I know now of ways to help prevent it. I've never had these kind of allergy problems. I'll put up with what i can to keep them. I'm so attatched.

i had a rex agouti until summer last year :( and i was completely allergic to him, and he was such a cuddler, i had to take antihistamines and put on cream to handle him, BUT i have to say, worth every pill and cream rub!

Every time i handled him i wheezed, went red, itched, came up in lumps rolleyes the things we do for x)

Well thank goodness it was only after cleaning. I handle and give them plenty of attention so it couldn't have been that. I wear gloves sometimes to hold them. Yes its all worth it. Love the lil piggies SO much.

I'm so glad it cleared up for you and you didn't have to get rid of the piggies, that would have been heartbreaking. I used to be terribly allergic to cats, we had a lot of strays running around where I lived and it was a horrible way to be, but I seem to have grown out of it, so hopefully whatever irritated you won't have that effect again :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back