• You can find lots of information on how to settle in, understand your new guinea pigs in our New Owners Guide Collection but please ask any questions you have in Wannabe and New Owners' section.

Alone guinea pig

Tmk3

New Born Pup
On Thursday one of my guinea pigs died and now today one of my guinea pigs died, which means I only have 1 left and I know you're not advised to have one guinea pig by itself but she is pretty old now and i don't want to get another one because I don't know how long she will live for. Since I put her back in her hutch she stayed in the same position for about 2 hours and hasn't really moved since then. I have a spare syringe that I was giving her water from as she wasn't really drinking anything but she is drinking from it fine and is eating but not as much as she usually does. Does anyone have an advice on how I can get her being herself again?

Cyaneatscarrots

Junior Guinea Pig
I’m sorry for your loss. It sounds as if your guinea pig is beginning to suffer from depression. I would advise getting another guinea pig to keep her company, even though she is old.

If really, really can’t get another guinea pig, Maybe holding her for 30 minutes or an hour will let her know you're there for him.
Make sure she has food, plenty of hiding space, and lots of love.