• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Alternatives to Snugglesafe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wheeky

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I bought a Snugglesafe but it sparks in my microwave so I'm returning it today. But I would still like to be able to keep my pigs warm as it gets very chilly in my house. I put fleece over their cage but it would be good if they could snuggle up to something. Are those microwavable wheat-filled toys safe for piggies? Or does anyone have any other ideas? Thanks.

I don't have a microwave so an alternative solution would be great!

Pets at Home.

pets at home prices for these are way high, if you go to vetuk website they are just over £13. Thats where i got mine from, and like i say no sparks or anything.

As for alternatives i have no clue. If your pigs are in a shed and it has electric to it, alot of people on here use oil filled radiators, cheap to run as they work on a thermostat. I wish my shed had electric then i could stop worrying so much.:)

I use a radiator & snuggle safes. Personally I would try another snugglesafe as they are quick & safe and the heat lasts ages

I use a radiator & snuggle safes. Personally I would try another snugglesafe as they are quick & safe and the heat lasts ages

I think it might be because our microwave is 20 years old and not used to cooking things that aren't food. I got such a fright with the sparks that I wouldn't want to risk it again.
It's funny though, I wonder if they would have let me exchange my Snugglesafe? When I bought it a month ago it was £19.99. I noticed today that they had gone up to £21.99, do you think they would have made me pay the £2 difference? ?/

I'd definitely return it, get a refund from p@h - but I'd then buy another from VetUK for £13.90 (as Mumto4GP has also suggested).
http://www.vetuk.co.uk/cat-accessor...nugglesafe-microwaveable-heat-pad-cover-p-250
I bought two snugglepads last week (free delivery as I spent over £19) and my boys are loving them!
I guess a wheat bag would also do the job but only for an hour or so, as long as you wrap them up well, however I don't think they'll give out much heat as snugglepads (which last up to 10 hours!) :)

I think there was a thread a while back about this problem with some sparking in the microwave. I would get a refund and get it online cheaper and hope that one works. I wouldn't have thought it would be the microwave if it works on food it should be ok.

The wheat bags are not easy to clean if they are weed on. Yuk smell of microwaved wee. If they get nibbled through the pigs could eat the wheat which usually has lavender or something in it too. I wouldn't use them personally.

The wheat bags are not easy to clean if they are weed on. Yuk smell of microwaved wee. If they get nibbled through the pigs could eat the wheat which usually has lavender or something in it too. I wouldn't use them personally.

True, I'd hadn't thought about that re. wee! Eeew!
Would it possible to put them into some sort of secure plastic bag, underneath bedding, where they wouldn't be able to nibble?

Anyway, to avoid any of these problems with 'alternatives', I'd say snugglesafe pads are probably the way forward - just think of it as an investment well spent for the welfare of your piggies! :)

I agree there they are a good investment, although the intial outlay is expensive depending on how many you buy.

How many winters do they last, you reckon?

Personally, I wouldn't use the wheat bags as they only last an hour or 2, they could be harmful to animals if chewed and most of them are scented.

There is a note on the snugglesafe packaging that advises them to be replaced every 3 years. This is the 3rd winter using one of mine although it is showing no signs of damage.

I don't use a snuggle safe as my piggies are indoors but I have arthritis and use hot waters bottles if I leave the room while I have a piggy out I always come back to find one of them parked up on the hot water bottle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back