Am I doing the right thing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tommies Mam

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
As many know Sparky got himself a new pal yesterday, Scampy-Joe. Sparky clearly loves Scampy and is amazingly tolerant with him. Sparky has always been very possessive about his armchair yet he is quite happy allowing Scampy to sit in it while he finds another bed to park his bum.

There have also been times when Sparky has been curled up in his chair and Scamp has pushed his way in beside him and though Sparky complains there is no aggression and 5 minutes later they will be snuggled up together.

Tonight I put their tea down, plum and tomato. Sparkies fave foods aside from cucumber, the tomato was chopped I was watching them eat and noticed that Scamp kept pinching Sparkies food I thought Sparky would go off it grrrr but he never complained just walked off to another piece of food till Scampy nicked that as well. I also witnessed Scampy pushing at Sparky which was funny to see a 5 and half week 8oz baby v a 4 year old 2lb 8oz piggy Sparky happily shifted.

I felt that it was a bit unfair on Sparky that he can't eat his meal in peace so I took Scampy out to give him peace but I don't know if I did the right thing particularly as Scampy was clearly hungry and enjoying his tea, he's back in his cage now. I can hear from where I am sitting they are both munching away and there is no aggression going on. Any advice would be helpful.

hallie2985

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
If you're really worried, try a second food bowl elsewhere in the cage - the boys can't be in both places at once. That way they both have a chance at dinner time.

Sarah from Chucklebunnies

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
It looked to me as though Scampy is still very young. Older piggies will allow babies to take the food from them - the babies benefit because older piggies can pick out the best food in the wild as they have more experience. The older piggies don't mind, it is all part of normal feeding behaviour to them.

The pushing as well, Scampy may be simply getting 'baby favours' as we call them in this household. It is where older piggies just look after younger ones and tolerate fom them what they would never bear from an older piggy.

If you put in two food bowls you may still find Scampy taking the food from Sparky's mouth - this will show you that it is simply Sparky looking after his baby boy!

Only when Scampy is bigger will the baby favours stop and Sparky may then tell him off.

katiepops

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
It looked to me as though Scampy is still very young. Older piggies will allow babies to take the food from them - the babies benefit because older piggies can pick out the best food in the wild as they have more experience. The older piggies don't mind, it is all part of normal feeding behaviour to them.

The pushing as well, Scampy may be simply getting 'baby favours' as we call them in this household. It is where older piggies just look after younger ones and tolerate fom them what they would never bear from an older piggy.

If you put in two food bowls you may still find Scampy taking the food from Sparky's mouth - this will show you that it is simply Sparky looking after his baby boy!

Only when Scampy is bigger will the baby favours stop and Sparky may then tell him off.

That's so sweet! Baby favours :))

Tommies Mam

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score

Thank you, yes Scampy is very young. 5 weeks 5 days.

Sparky has always been a very tolerant and kind piggy and reading your post is very reassuring, I don't usually put their veggies in a dish just scatter it around the cage for them to find. It would seem that its normal behaviour and because Sparky is tolerant and not getting cross I will leave them to it. Sparky is a fabby foster daddy. 8;)drool

Reaction score
I bonded Branston with baby Junior a few months ago, Branston's a very dominant boar so I couldn't understand why he kept letting Junior take food from him! This explains why, thanks! Branston still lets Junior take food from him now and Junior is 825g, so perhaps he'll always let him get away with it!

Status
Not open for further replies.