• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Am I the only one...

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

cavykind

That feels sorry for adult boars?

Over the years I have been involved with guinea rescue, it's sad but true that adult male/entire boars, are in my experience the least enquired after :(

I know Suzy has a great site barmy4boars which promotes their virtues and it does a great job. But these little guys seem to have such a hard time of it.
breeders rarely want to keep them, they seem the last to be sold in pet stores and even rescuers (generally) find it harder to place them :-\

Yet they are so sweet and such characters...

Barbara

No you're definately not, I absolutely love them to bits they are such cuddly dears.
I don't really know why people are reluctant to adopt them :(
I get a feeling that alot of people expect them to start marking their territory like an un-neutered tom cat or something...I don't know :(

It is a shame because they are such sweeties. I have been thinking about possibly rescuing a boar to go in with my girls (obviously neutered first!) but will have to wait until after christmas now when I can afford to expand the accommodation!

Beaney said:
It is a shame because they are such sweeties. I have been thinking about possibly rescuing a boar to go in with my girls (obviously neutered first!) but will have to wait until after christmas now when I can afford to expand the accommodation!

That would be lovely :)
Many rescues neuter males when and as they can afford to, so keep this in mind. As a generalisation, I ask a £35.00 adoption fee, though it costs me more than that for the op. I, like all good rescues give advice on intro's and would take back and reimburse if things did not go well. So please contact local rescues if you decide to find a "guy" for your girlies :)
As I have said not all sows appreciate even a neutered boar in their midst ::)
But hey...it's their shout :)

Barbara

I am a sucker for older, single boars. 6 of my own 9 pigs are happy single lads and I also have a neutered boar with a girlfriend.

I love my boys and actively seek them out when I have space to rehome a new pig myself.

I find boars to be the friendliest pigs. I love them. This is why I fork out so much money neutering them all so they won't end up lonely and smelly in their old age. And the older they get the more their character shows.

i have two female piggys now but i have always had boars and they have got charicters i loved them ,not that i don,t love the two i have now but you know what i mean?
i would have boars again defeantly :)

I too prefer boars they are much more people friendly and today I was over the moon that patch gave me a piggy kiss on my nose, think he was thanking me for his teeth op yesterday but it made my day, I would adopt boars if I could ever find any here to adopt, I have a shed with 17 boys in it and they range in ages and are in a cc runs some on their own with cage mates next to them or in with others , my closest pigs have all been boys, its a shame they are given the wrong impression about them is'nt it?

cavykind said:
Beaney said:

That would be lovely :)
Many rescues neuter males when and as they can afford to, so keep this in mind. As a generalisation, I ask a £35.00 adoption fee, though it costs me more than that for the op. I, like all good rescues give advice on intro's and would take back and reimburse if things did not go well. So please contact local rescues if you decide to find a "guy" for your girlies :)
As I have said not all sows appreciate even a neutered boar in their midst ::)
But hey...it's their shout :)

Barbara

It would be nice of the boar was already neutered because then it saves my finger nails.... When ever an animal of mine is at the vet the finger nails are gone!
It is something I am definatly going to consider after christmas....

Yes, and I have done for a while as they are often overlooked purely because they are boars :'(

I will have one when Margalo passes on. If she smells a boar her ovarian cysts grow! Its because she gets excited which in turn stimulates the ovaries & makes them grow. Crazy stuff hormones!
Can't wait to have a really big boar I would prob get a middle aged one - 2ish & have him neutered.

When I have more room I will have some! I like boy guineas. I like all guineas.

I love all Guineas i would have more males Except Rex doesn't take to them :'( When i have more room i would easily get more

I myself actually prefer the boars. I think people are misinformed by pet shops and other 'experts' that boars will not live together, when I have rarely had problems with pairs of boars fighting.

When I did rescue I once had an obnoxious person tell me that NO WAY did she want a pair of boys because her pet shop told her that they WOULD fight, and after all the pet shop owners were experts, weren't they? She would not be convinced otherwise.

She left .... without any piggies, no way would I let any of my little ones go to someone so ignorant.

chinakit said:
I myself actually prefer the boars. I think people are misinformed by pet shops and other 'experts' that boars will not live together, when I have rarely had problems with pairs of boars fighting.

When I did rescue I once had an obnoxious person tell me that NO WAY did she want a pair of boys because her pet shop told her that they WOULD fight, and after all the pet shop owners were experts, weren't they? She would not be convinced otherwise.

She left .... without any piggies, no way would I let any of my little ones go to someone so ignorant.

All we can do is try and educate people :-\

When re-homing boars, I always stress, that problems can occurr, but also stress it's more likely things will go well ::)
The good thing when people adopt via rescue, we will advise and take back if needed and most people find this reassuring.

Barbara

boars are fab
to be honest I've had more trouble with sows fighting than boars, I find that generally boars are more laid back than sows, and I just love it when they purr lol

You can't beat an old boar! they are soooo cute just little old men!

piglover said:
You can't beat an old boar! they are soooo cute just little old men!

Aaaah, that's really sweet and a lovely way to put it :)

I must say I too love old boars, there seems to be so much wisdom written over their whiskery little faces. I have an oldie Solo, must try and get a pic of him this weekend. Mind he's still a little imp >:D

Barbara

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back