• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Am I too old?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Just want to know what you all think .Am I too old to keep guineas and rabbits?
I am a working mum with 4 children,1 husband,2 dogs 11 guineas and 2 rabbits.
All the children love the animals but favour the dogs,as does my husband !!
My youngest daughter who is nearly 11 is keen like me on them all equally!!I have to say I have a soft spot for the piggies and my eldest son has a fave piggie but I do all the feeding cleaning etc.....Which is fine by me.
Some people think I'm a bit strange having all these guineas and I sometimes wonder if I ought to say they are my children's,but I am the one who looks after them all.
I am considering starting a boarding facility for piggies and rabbits and definitely going to start volunteering at my local rescue SPrescue!!It makes me more determined to help poor little piggies who have been abandoned,I know I am not crazy but crazy abouy all animals.What do you think??

does it matter what age you are, to consider helping animals, to love animals, to keep animals?

welcome to the forum :)

Definitely not too old! My mum has had 4 kids too, though only one still at home, a husband, she has a full time job and lots of little evening jobs on parish councils etc and - wait for it - 3 dogs, 1 cat, 10 rabbits (and a litter here and there), a goose, 5 bantams, a different breed of chicken (can't remember it!), about 30 quails (possibly more now) an aviary with about 40 or so birds in it, 2 gp's plus their baby, 2 gerbils and tropical fish........oh, and a hamster! I think that's it.........

And she loves having all her animals about, she even lives next to a stable yard so could sort of count the horses in there!

Aww you are never too old !

I have had small furries since I was about 10 and I am now 42! I can see me still having them when I am at retirement age! :)

Well if you're crazy then we all are ;D I'm 38 and have piggies and bunnies, I think some of the mums in our village think I'm mad, but I don't care. I think they're mad to get a rabbit for their 5 year old and then leave it in it's hutch for the rest of it's life as it's 'aggressive' ::) I've tried suggesting neutering etc but they think I've lost it. My son loves 'his' pigs, but I'm the main carer for them, which like you I don't mind. I'm getting two pigs of my own soon, and I can't wait!

Welcome to GPF :)

Kathryn x

I'm 43 and have never been without guinea pigs since I was about 10. Always had other pets too, dogs, rabbits, hamsters, & always got birds. I've had them all through marriage, divorce, living with others and now living alone (the best!)You're never too old for pets! Better by far than human company! I

Too right! They're always pleased to see you and don't want to hurt you.

Welcome to the forum, by the way :)

I have to agree with the others on this one, you can never be too old. You would be suprised the number of people who come to me to adopt piggies who openly admit they are for them and not the kids ;) My boss at work thinks I am a bit strange because I cant be bothered to find a "man in my life" because I spend all my time with the rabbits and guinea pigs ;D, although everyone else knows they are my babies and I would do anything for them. Lets face it, there are a lot worse hobbies out there you could have chosen 8)

No way too old! I am 24 but plan to have piggys well into my retirement. Adult owners are more suited to guinea pigs as they need special care... all piggys should be owned by adults and shared with the family rather than just childrens responsibility I believe. So you enjoy your piggys... and you are not too old! PLenty of us here just like you so you will fit right it :)

Just wanted to thank all of you who replied to my message, gr8 I feel I am doing the right thing,
it is good to be able to chat with like minded people.Thanks once again GPF!!!

Hi Sally again we have already chatted, hope my advice worked , you silly thing am i too old you are never too old to have animals I intend having them into my old age they keep me sane, my family would take care of them if anything ever happened to me I have no doubt of that ( we have spoke of this and I threatened to haunt them if they did'nt do it perfectly lol)
I'm 45 with 5 kids beat you! and a grandaughter of 2 going on 16 and another grandaughter due at christmas, they are all involved in some way with my menagerie including hubby ( you need to get yours trained better lol) you go for what you want in life you only get one so enjoy it, if it means mucking poop and shampooing pets and getting covered in all sorts then thats fine becasue its what you want, go for it girl, pm me to let me know how things are good luck ;)

:o I`m 47 and only started having furries 12 years ago ! :o The furries need us all, young and old :o

I'm 34 and got my first piggie only 3-4 months ago on the insistence of my son who wanted one. I now have 4 piggies and I do the majority of care with help from my son. And when he's at school - they're all mine! Lol!

Too old to keep animals? Didn't know you could be such a thing! Welcome to the forum, I'm new here too and I love coming in here xx

blondecat said:
I'm 34 and got my first piggie only 3-4 months ago on the insistence of my son who wanted one. I now have 4 piggies and I do the majority of care with help from my son. And when he's at school - they're all mine! Lol!

Too old to keep animals? Didn't know you could be such a thing! Welcome to the forum, I'm new here too and I love coming in here xx

I got 'my' first one in July at the insistance of my son too, they know how to work us don't they? ;D He now has two more 'rescues' that he insists are his, so my next two (sows) are going to be mine :D He's only 6 but is doing really well feeding them and cleaning them out. One of the rescues is easy to pick up and he's good at gently scooping him up and stroking him, I'm so proud of him. He just keeps asking why Hugo keeps getting on top of Hurley and 'cuddling' him ::) ;D ;D

I'm 44 , have 41 piggies 25 ish buns (see other post) 6 chinchillas, 13 cats 5 birds ohhh & 4 dogs.....I'm crazy , mad , strange (some of the names my neighbours call me) but love them all to bits n wouldnt change a thing, those that dont have the unconditional love of a furry freind are the mad (sad) ones i say :)
hello & welcolme , lovely site ;)

I dont think you are ever too old to have any pet you want to look after and let into your home and life!

Whatever age I am, I am always going to have my furry and feathered friends around me! They are always there to listen to my stories and me moaning, always cuddle me when I feel low, and never expect anything but love in return...

There's no age limit on pets imho!

Trace x

kayjay said:
I got 'my' first one in July at the insistance of my son too, they know how to work us don't they?  ;D  He now has two more 'rescues' that he insists are his, so my next two (sows) are going to be mine  :D  He's only 6 but is doing really well feeding them and cleaning them out.  One of the rescues is easy to pick up and he's good at gently scooping him up and stroking him, I'm so proud of him.  He just keeps asking why Hugo keeps getting on top of Hurley and 'cuddling' him  ::) ;D ;D

My son has just turned seven and he's being really good caring for them too! I love it because I'm raising two children that will never treat animals cruelly. My son actually wants to run a rescue - err, and do you think I would actually rehome any? Lol!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back