Am I winter ready for shed piggies?

Sally Newbie

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi all. So today was Project Shed. Cleared it all out and then rolled out lino to cover whole floor. Then cut and taped insulation board all over hutch including underneath. Then put the Scratch&Newton silver Snuggle cover on top. The half of old outside run in shed as extra rat deterrent, and hutch squeezed in. The new small run attached to hutch. Phew! In the hutch there are in the sleeping area 2 cardboard boxes stuffed w hay and 2 heatpads at night. I have 2 Cavy Couture fleece tunnels which are yet to go in cardboard boxes.
Ok, so what else do I need? Have puppy pads for run, getting bathmats and a fleece blanket to put in run on top of lino. What else do I need for warmth in hutch? Duvet? Fleece blankets (how many) to go on hutch back top and drape over (w ventilation )?

Attachments

Piggies&buns

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
It looks great! Your piggies will love it!

I have a blanket over my hutch, then the thermal hutch cover, then I have an old duvet which I pull over everything (Along with internal measures - loads of hay, snugglesafes, fleece tunnels)

Sally Newbie

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
The fleece tunnels arrived yesterday so I'm washing them in ecological washing powder and then drying in between , following advice on this forum, to get them to wick. I will put these in the cardboard boxes and then the hay on the top. What a nightmare! Old duvet coming out of loft shortly. Do you get that to hang over the front a couple of inches off the ground for ventilation?

DonDon121405

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Looks great, we’re getting winter ready too. Insulation going In soon and been using gmy hello fresh boxes over my carrot topped box with hay in between both levels and a snuggle safe under, plus a snuggle safe in the actual hutch. Extra blankets over the hutch as well h until we fit the heater x