• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

An eye question

Status
Not open for further replies.

HairlessWillow7

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi everyone

Nothing really wrong, I meant to ask earlier but I forgot, my piggy Woog has two different sized eyes! Does anyone know why this is? She just turned 4 yesterday, and has had it all her life without a problem. I'm just curious on what it is. She also recently developed a cataract in her larger eye. I'm sure she's blind in that eye now, but it doesn't seem to bother her. I'll post some pics so you can see the size differences.

Here's the more "normal" sized eye
IMG_8553.jpg

and here's the bigger, cataract eye
IMG_8554.jpg

I'm not sure, but that eye does seem a bit strange, like it sticks out quite a bit.

Yes it quite strange. A lot of people think it's creepy :{ When I got her, it wasn't like that, but a few months after, I noticed it was getting bigger :{ Now I've had her for 4 years, and it's never bothered her. I'm just curious to what it is.

I wonder is there an abcess behind the eye that's putting pressure on the eye? Might be worth getting looked at? :S

That's really strange...if it was both eyes, I'd have suggested hyperthyroidism...but it isn't. I really have no idea, I hope someone can help you. Does it seem painful?

It doesn't seem painful at all. It's also been checked for abscesses, and there isn't one. It's quite strange :{

My piggie's eye looked like that at some point (it's much worse now)... I took him right to the vet and it was a teeth problem! They took an x-ray of his head and noticed an abnormal growth of his back teeth. The roots of the teeth had gone so close to the eye and they caused a bad infection to it. But we had some other serious symptoms too like loss of weight, not eating much and so on...
Even if this is not your piggie's problem I think that you should take him to the vet as soon as possible!

I hope it's nothing serious! Get well soon! :*

Don't worry, it's been checked out. Woog has normal teeth, and hasn't lost weight :) I don't think she's been sick a day in her life! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back