• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

angry at dinnertime?

hhhhhh00

New Born Pup
Reaction score
My little buddy gets his pellets every morning around the same time, as soon as my partner wakes me up, so around 10 or a little before daily. He is free fed hay and has those pellets to nibble on all day (he's picky, so he sorts through them and doesn't eat them all even though I give him the recommended amount. Looking for a different brand but keep this on hand because it's currently the only pellets he goes for.) When we get home at night, a little after 10 p.m., he gets his veggies. We come into the bedroom to set our stuff down and I immediately head upstairs to get his veggies. When we come in though, he chatters his teeth at us, and it gets worse until he gets his dinner. Am I going too long without feeding him? We work from the afternoon to the evening, so should i ask my partners brother to give him his veggies earlier? I'm worried he might be going hungry and that could be causing his agitation. He didnt always chatter his teeth, he just wheeled, but he's been chattery the past few days.

He won’t be hungry as he always has hay available and as it’s the most important part of the diet. As long as you are consistent in when he gets fed, then the time itself does not matter.

It’s quite normal for them to chatter and behave like they are absolutely starving! It’s their way of training their human!

Her hee, this made me laugh, clearly his training of you is not working as well as he likes therefore he is upping his game...so much so he’s got you worried...exactly what he wants. They are sneaky little things! I find it amazing how they do try every way they can, to communicate with us.

Is he chittering his teeth in annoyance or scissoring them to sharpen them? There is a difference in the sound.

Is this true? I notice that there is a subtle difference in this sound but never considered this, but do they really sharpen this way (or am I completely missing the joke?!)

Is this true? I notice that there is a subtle difference in this sound but never considered this, but do they really sharpen this way (or am I completely missing the joke?!)
Yes @Guinea Slave there is a chitter chitter chitter noise of annoyance. Piglet, the founder of GPM was an expert at this when he was unhappy with us. The Skinnies and the Chav Girls do it to each other. But there is also scissoring or knife sharpening noise that they make when veggies are on the way. Listen out, it's great when you hear the difference.

Yes @Guinea Slave there is a chitter chitter chitter noise of annoyance. Piglet, the founder of GPM was an expert at this when he was unhappy with us. The Skinnies and the Chav Girls do it to each other. But there is also scissoring or knife sharpening noise that they make when veggies are on the way. Listen out, it's great when you hear the difference.

He won’t be hungry as he always has hay available and as it’s the most important part of the diet. As long as you are consistent in when he gets fed, then the time itself does not matter.

It’s quite normal for them to chatter and behave like they are absolutely starving! It’s their way of training their human!
That makes quite a lot of sense... I suppose he realized how much faster the veggies came when he chattered at me and thought, "Wow, that was effective!"

He only does it to me, too, not my partner 😂

Is he chittering his teeth in annoyance or scissoring them to sharpen them? There is a difference in the sound.
I had no idea there were different kinds of chattering/scissoring! I'll definitely pay close attention the next time I'm sure its because he's frustrated (likely during his next nail trimming, ha.)

Is he a lone pig or does he have a companion?
He's a lone pig but only temporarily, if all goes well. He has a checkup with the vet in a couple of days and we plan on taking him out to make a new friend ASAP, I hate leaving him alone.
Hopefully he is able to bond with other males. He had a complicated situation with his previous owners and I worry he could be anti-social because of it. He's friendly toward other animals though, so I'm positive about it!

He's a lone pig but only temporarily, if all goes well. He has a checkup with the vet in a couple of days and we plan on taking him out to make a new friend ASAP, I hate leaving him alone.
Hopefully he is able to bond with other males. He had a complicated situation with his previous owners and I worry he could be anti-social because of it. He's friendly toward other animals though, so I'm positive about it!

If you take him to a rescue that does boar dating then the rescue will allow your pig to pick his own friend, that way your pigs would be less likely to fall out with each other. It’s all about character compatibility with guinea pigs so the situation with his previous owners could just be because he didn’t get along with the other guinea pig(s) that he was with, i’m glad that you are positive about it and want to get him a friend. I have attached a link to the rescue locator for the US.
Guinea Lynx :: US Guinea Pig Rescues

If you take him to a rescue that does boar dating then the rescue will allow your pig to pick his own friend, that way your pigs would be less likely to fall out with each other. It’s all about character compatibility with guinea pigs so the situation with his previous owners could just be because he didn’t get along with the other guinea pig(s) that he was with, i’m glad that you are positive about it and want to get him a friend. I have attached a link to the rescue locator for the US.
Guinea Lynx :: US Guinea Pig Rescues
Yes I'm looking into boar dating! I'm starting with the closest shelter; they currently have two males. I plan to bring him and introduce him to one at a time; is that the right way to go about it? If the first boy isn't a match, should I wait a few days and introduce him to the other, or is it better to show both of them to him so he can choose? That wasn't really clear from the bonding guides I've read. I worry about him bonding with both as a trio because we currently only have the space for 2 boys.

Yes I'm looking into boar dating! I'm starting with the closest shelter; they currently have two males. I plan to bring him and introduce him to one at a time; is that the right way to go about it? If the first boy isn't a match, should I wait a few days and introduce him to the other, or is it better to show both of them to him so he can choose? That wasn't really clear from the bonding guides I've read. I worry about him bonding with both as a trio because we currently only have the space for 2 boys.

He will be tried with one and if it fails, then he will be tried with the other. If the first meeting fails, then the rescue may want to wait a few days before trying with the second boar but they may be happy to do it on the same day.
You can’t bond boars as a trio - most boar trios fail and result in fights and fall outs.

He will be tried with one and if it fails, then he will be tried with the other. If the first meeting fails, then the rescue may want to wait a few days before trying with the second boar but they may be happy to do it on the same day.
You can’t bond boars as a trio - most boar trios fail and result in fights and fall outs.
Thank you for the info! (This makes a lot of sense because I believe previous owners attempted a male trio.) Would another pig eventually be compatible with a pair of boars, or would even a spayed sow cause issues? I think i read something along those lines in a guide. If that's the case I'd be perfectly happy with just a couple of boys, I just don't want him to be alone. :)

Thank you for the info! (This makes a lot of sense because I believe previous owners attempted a male trio.) Would another pig eventually be compatible with a pair of boars, or would even a spayed sow cause issues? I think i read something along those lines in a guide. If that's the case I'd be perfectly happy with just a couple of boys, I just don't want him to be alone. :)

No, when you have a pair of boars you cannot add any other pigs in the same cage with them at all.

Adding another boar would cause fights between all three (with the potential to break the bond of the original pair, so you’d then have three single piggies).

You cannot put a sow in with a pair of boars - first, the boars would likely not be neutered (given neutering boars is not necessary when they are a pair), but the presence of a sow will cause the boys to fight over her. This goes for even having a sows in the same room but in a separate cage. Sows need to be kept well away from bonded boars.

If you are likely to want more piggies in the future - then you will need to have a completely separate pair of boars but they could be within the same room; or neuter your boy, have his six week wait to become infertile and then bond him with a sow(s) now. (there would of course be the possibility to add more sows in the future, but as it comes to character compatibility then there is no guarantee a bonded sow/boar pair would accept any further newcomers to their relationship)

No, when you have a pair of boars you cannot add any other pigs in the same cage with them at all.

Adding another boar would cause fights between all three (with the potential to break the bond of the original pair, so you’d then have three single piggies).

You cannot put a sow in with a pair of boars - first, the boars would likely not be neutered (given neutering boars is not necessary when they are a pair), but the presence of a sow will cause the boys to fight over her. This goes for even having a sows in the same room but in a separate cage. Sows need to be kept well away from bonded boars.

If you are likely to want more piggies in the future - then you will need to have a completely separate pair of boars but they could be within the same room; or neuter your boy, have his six week wait to become infertile and then bond him with a sow(s) now. (there would of course be the possibility to add more sows in the future, but as it comes to character compatibility then there is no guarantee a bonded sow/boar pair would accept any further newcomers to their relationship)
I thought so. I think my best bet is to try him with available boars, so if I get a good match for him I won't do anything that might break their bond. But I am looking into getting him a sow as a last resort, and plan to discuss the eventual possibility of neutering during his vet appointment. (I may do this for my boys even if I do get a good boar/boar pair, because I've heard it can help eliminate health risks like testicular cancer, but I'm not sure.)
I just don't want him to have to wait another 6 weeks if it can be avoided, so fingers crossed that he makes friends with a boar in the area! Thank you so much for your advice. I never knew guinea pig social dynamics were so complex and I'm glad I'm learning what will make them happiest :)

Back