• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

anorexia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lucinda

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Took Dr to the vet this morning. Dr is anorexic. He has lost even more weight since having his teeth cut. All I can get him to eat is the Recovery supplement from the vet and strawberry and banana smoothie! This morning the vet gave him an injection to stimulate hunger. I thnk it has worked a bit as it wasn't quite so hard to get the syringe in, but I think it may be a long haul.

Anyone else experienced this?
x

Hi Lucinda. this is what Jacques had after her operation. it took 3 weeks to get her to eat on her own. she seemed to reponse to grass at the beginning. Is Dr grinding his teeth as if in pain he may need a painkiller? Have you got him or the vets? Jacques stay at the vets and I visited every day. Its a long haul. Hopefully your piggy will make it but with Jacques they were surprised she did. Jacques lost lotsof weight but now she is 100% better and back t her weight before the operation. I do wish you good luck

Oh no Lucinda. I hope everything goes back to normal with Dr. Such a lovely piggie. I have never experieced guinea pig anorexia however I have had a guinea pig which lost a lot of weight and completely shrunk in size. We didn't take her to the vets as they are useless and took everything into our own hands. She lived with 4 other girls and thought maybe they wern't letting her have any food so every morning Priya would come in for some time by herself with loads of fresh food. She was scoffing it down and it was like she hadn't eaten for ages. We then watched her with the others and found out that she was the one which got to the food before all the others... bizarre! She now seems a lot better and has put on more weight.

Try reading this page and see if it gives you any help.

http://guinealynx.info/anorexia.html

Let us know how Dr gets on!

Thanks for the link, Ellie. I have printed all that.
I think Dr is improving very very slowly. He seems to enjoy being syringe fed more today.

I am so pleased. I will see if I can find more information just incase you need it :) Are you monitoring his weight?

its good he is enjoying the springe feed. JAcques was a nightamre and hated it.

You could try giving him some Metatone tonic to see if that boosts him up a bit. It is available from the chemists - give ).5ml a day for the first week then drop it down to 0.3ml for another week or two.

Kate

Thats a brill idea Kate. I totally forgot about the metatone. It is really good at boosting a guinea pigs appetite and their energy. I really recommend it!

I think it's the same thing as critical care. It's called Recovery for small herbivores. I also have a vitamin spary to spray on food. The difference in Dr has been amazing since he had the jab. I was not at work Monday or today because I have the most terrible sore throat and temperature. That was good tho' because i have been able to feed DR every two hours with the Recovery stuff and fruit smoothie. He is also starting to eat greens. It's not just the food tho' he is no longer sitting on his own in the corner, he is now coming out to play with the others and is showing an interest in life.
Thanks for all the advice, guys. I will keep you posted!
x

so glad there has been some improvement. well done on all your hard work.

I gave him his syringe before work. He didn't eat much of the breakfast though (greens etc). I have seen him eat in the last couple of days so I know he can. I think we're getting there.

I am writing this in my office. This is how I pass the time when my colleague has gone to one of her self-important meetings!

If he's in pain try giving Calgel to ease it. Don't feed for at least 15 mins after giving it. Are you sure the vet has done everything that needs to be done? Did he file the teeth too? Doeshe have a sore tongue maybe (Calgel for this)?

Do you have a Rodentologist nearby that can take a look?

Thank you everyone for all your advice to help Doctor. He is such a gorgeous fuzzy little piggy that it wasn't immediately obvious that he was SO THIN. We keep telling him that he isn't a supermodel, and doesn't want to look like one, as it isn't appealing for guineas or people!
I hope that he will do what Lucinda tells him and start eating properly.
Caroline

Dr doesn't seem to be in pain. He has had his teeth filed and had a couple of follow up appointments afterwards. My vet is really good and I do trust him. He gave Dr an injection to stimulate his appetite which seems to have worked wonders.

In fact this morning Dr is eating a good breakfast.

Thank you everyone for your thoughts. I really appreciate it.
x

[fontTahoma][color]Hav you tri th mtaton tonic ucina? - Its BIIANT stuff. Prhaps just giv Dr a smallr os of it if h sms as though h is gtting bttr. I think this tonic rally sms to hlp![/font]

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven't been to a chemist yet but perhaps I will try it. He's certainly been hoovering up food this morning and I think I am weaning him off the "bottle" but I don't want a relapse!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back