• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Another Bladder Stone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

shersher78

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Rillo has gone back to the vets again. She suffers with cystitis so every now & then she'll have a week or so of being uncomfortable. This time, she has been in much more pain than usual & has been passing blood with very little urine. It's suspected that she has another bladder stone (she had one removed in 2012 & although she came through brilliantly, she suffered quite badly afterwards with ulcers in her mouth & throat) despite my best efforts at trying to reduce this. She will be having her x-ray tonight & if no stone is found, it'll be an ultrasound. She is 6 1/2 years old now & although she is a little toughy, I am wondering if she can cope with going through surgery again (not that it's an option regardless as if it's NOT a bladder stone, it's likely that there is something going on in her uterus which would mean a bigger operation) & I am also apprehensive as last year I lost both Shambo AND his son, Bubbles (literally a few months later) due to eye pops, which revealed underlying problems. I am trying to stay optimistic & not think too much about it as I was in enough of a mess over Sham & Bubs & I know it'll totally destroy me losing Rillo. Will be ringing the vet later so will update then.

BIG HUGS!

It is very worrying, especially with older piggies! I am keeping my fingers firmly crossed for Rillo and you.

BIG HUGS!

It is very worrying, especially with older piggies! I am keeping my fingers firmly crossed for Rillo and you.
Thanks Wiebke, Baby Roo still has that massive sparkle in her eyes which I've always believed is her little way of saying "Mummy, don't give up on me, I'm stronger than you think". Both Sham & Bubs didn't have that sparkle towards the end but no matter how ill Rillo's been (it's been touch & go so many times, talk about cats having nine lives!) it's always been there.

My little P was over 6 when he had his operation he recovered remarkably well. These little guys are much tougher than we think at times. Try and stay positive, I know how draining it can be waiting on news.

Healing wheeks to your little one... We have everything crossed.

Just got off the phone from the vet, she has TWO bladder stones (she likes to make things tricky bless her). She has managed to pass some urine (which has been bloody), has had some Critical Care & seems quite comfortable so surgery will be tomorrow after I've spoken to the vet. At least the stones aren't stuck in her tubes so I guess that's something. Will seem very quiet here tonight without her chirping away & wanting fusses & cuddles. The girls (Loulou, Rasper, Bella & Patch who live together, but in a different room to Rillo) have sussed something is up as they are unusually quiet (all usually chirp to each other in the evening, like a little mini-chorus). It could've been worse I guess but we'll see what tomorrow brings.

My little P was over 6 when he had his operation he recovered remarkably well. These little guys are much tougher than we think at times. Try and stay positive, I know how draining it can be waiting on news.

Healing wheeks to your little one... We have everything crossed.
Thanks Flintstones. I have kept guineas for the last 25 years & have never had problems with them before (I guess I was either extremely lucky or not knowledgeable enough to spot the early signs before), but with Rillo, she's had so much trouble bless her & my two boys went last year :( I don't know, we bring them into our lives & they take over our hearts :)

Do you still have your little man? I was told it's a tougher deal removing them from the boars & also more common but in all honesty I'm not sure whether that's true or not as only ever had 3 boars in total.

He died 6 months later, he developed another stone. I was going to opt for surgery again but before that we did bloodwork's his kidneys unfortunately were giving up so he was put to sleep.

i hope all goes well x

eta: not sure if this has already been used in the past, but cerenia is brilliant for inflammed piggy bladder walls, and works in a different way to metacam so using both covers things really well :)

do you mind me asking - why did she have ulcers in her mouth and throat? was that related to the stones somehow, or was that from the op?

He died 6 months later, he developed another stone. I was going to opt for surgery again but before that we did bloodwork's his kidneys unfortunately were giving up so he was put to sleep.
Oh no, sorry to hear that. It's soul destroying when things don't go as well as you hoped. Each time we lose one we say "No more, it causes too much heartbreak to say goodbye" but in all honesty, I really don't think I could handle NOT having guins, they truly are such wonderful little gems (I don't need to tell you guys that!).

i hope all goes well x

eta: not sure if this has already been used in the past, but cerenia is brilliant for inflammed piggy bladder walls, and works in a different way to metacam so using both covers things really well :)
I've not heard of that one :/ Will have a little look online later & make sure to ask the vet about it. Thanks for the heads up :) Oh & the ulcers, there was a bit of conflict about that, one vet believed it to be from the anaesthetic & the other believed it to be the Baytril. Obviously because of the ulcers she was very reluctant to eat or drink & she's not the most receptive to syringe feeding as it is, so she started going down hill really quickly.The vet (who believed it was the Baytril) changed the antibiotic (I can't remember what it was now) & also gave me something to coat her mouth & throat with to try & make it more comfortable to eat & drink. Within a few days the ulcers had cleared & she managed to start eating properly. Maybe coincidence, maybe not :/

Oh no, sorry to hear that. It's soul destroying when things don't go as well as you hoped. Each time we lose one we say "No more, it causes too much heartbreak to say goodbye" but in all honesty, I really don't think I could handle NOT having guins, they truly are such wonderful little gems (I don't need to tell you guys that!).

Very true and to honest 6 months is a long time for a guinea pig. Really hope for some good news for you tomorrow.

I've not heard of that one :/ Will have a little look online later & make sure to ask the vet about it. Thanks for the heads up :) Oh & the ulcers, there was a bit of conflict about that, one vet believed it to be from the anaesthetic & the other believed it to be the Baytril. Obviously because of the ulcers she was very reluctant to eat or drink & she's not the most receptive to syringe feeding as it is, so she started going down hill really quickly.The vet (who believed it was the Baytril) changed the antibiotic (I can't remember what it was now) & also gave me something to coat her mouth & throat with to try & make it more comfortable to eat & drink. Within a few days the ulcers had cleared & she managed to start eating properly. Maybe coincidence, maybe not :/

cerenia is actually an anti-nausea medication for dogs i think, but research has shown it works really well for inflammation of the bladder area/walls in piggies. i really think it helped when we used it.

thanks for explaining about the ulcers. hope you don't mind me asking. just find it all interesting and hadn't heard much about them before except in relation to dentals.

fingers crossed for today x

Of course I don't mind you asking, by being honest & sharing our experiences is the only way we can earn more knowledge about our beloved furballs. Our experiences may help others. I will certainly be asking the vet about Cerenia. Just waiting for the vet to get back to me as I rang earlier & she was busy. Just hoping that everything has gone as well as possible obviously :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back