• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Another Hay Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emmnpete

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I would like some advice please. I know there is a lot of threads on this forum regarding hay, and I've looked at lots, but I am still confused.

I have been using a 3.5kg Bob Martin my little friend meadow hay £4.50.
Piggies love it, it's dust free and smells lovely, nice and green and they eat a lot of it. I owned horses for over 20yrs so I would like to think I know a nice looking hay.

I've just opened a bag and its dusty not nice smelling and looks more like straw. Obviously a nasty batch. But I've only got a bag of spare Timothy hay ( which I bought as a treat twice a week ) to give them as they won't eat the meadow hay I've just opened.

Now I am looking for a similar sized bag 3.5kg or even slightly larger.....meadow hay for a similar price to buy online.
I would like to stick with meadow hay as their main food, treating them to a little Timothy hay twice a week.
It's extremely confusing all of the types of hay......so recommendations please xx

have you tried Natures Best medow hay ? (i think it was prevously Natures Own)
the last lot l got wasent up to much, but that was old stock, it may be better now !
also Yorkshire igns is usualy ok

l also usualy get alfafa king thimathy, but the last box was full of legumes

ps l am never happy with any hay ! lol:lol!:

have you tried Natures Best medow hay ? (i think it was prevously Natures Own)
the last lot l got wasent up to much, but that was old stock, it may be better now !
also Yorkshire igns is usualy ok
Ooh nature's own looks ok and the sizes and price I am looking for... Although I am a bit reluctant to bulk buy, not due to the cost but the quality....one I know the hay is nice then I don't mind bulk buying

Ooh I will have to look in to this again:D.. I didn't think it mattered as long as it was varied, due to Timothy hay being low in calcium but better for their tum.

My main hay is meadow hay in their big littler tray to eat, burrow, pee & poo, I don't want to put expensive hay in their littler tray that's why I've been buying the Bob Martin, with 2-3 times a week in a rack I use Timothy hay, also using 1-2 times a week excel for a bit of a mix up but that high in calcium so that's why it's just a treat.
So that's why I mix it up a bit :D

Last edited:
Why do you seek after hay with higher calcium level?
Even my babies are on Orchard Grass and Timothy hay only, because they already have alfafa-based pellets.

i really recommend the following hays:

hay for pets ings
hay for pets meadow
timothyhay.co.uk timothy hay (2013 batch)
oxbow orchard grass

these are the ones my lots are having at the moment - meadow and orchard grass in the tray, and then all mixed together in other places like in tunnels, on the wooden bridge, in cut kitchen roll tubes etc, and every so often the meadow all over the cage on top of the bedding aswell :)

i've heard that the alfalfa king timothy hay is good too so hoping to add that in soon aswell :)

they can have timothy hay all the time. i think the excel you mean may have dandelion in aswell which is why it's higher calcium and you are using it less often?

Last edited:
Yes Biscandmat,
I was advised by members on here not to give the excel dandelion one as a main hay due to the higher calcium.
Thanks for the list above that's great ....yes I am using a mix of mostly meadow, and Timothy and as a treat a bit of excel.

I was just wanting to know what other members thought of cheap but nice quality hay.......:lol!: x

Yes Biscandmat,
I was advised by members on here not to give the excel dandelion one as a main hay due to the higher calcium.
Thanks for the list above that's great ....yes I am using a mix of mostly meadow, and Timothy and as a treat a bit of excel.

I was just wanting to know what other members thought of cheap but nice quality hay.......:lol!: x
I use Hay for pets timothy and ings it is very reasonable delivered quickly and always nice quality

Do you still have horses? Can you just take a couple of slices off their hay bale? Or, if you have the storage, can you get nice farm bales?

Jollyes have a nice hay in 5kg packs - smelt nice, lovely and soft for nesting in and not dusty - can't remember the brand though. I was using this where I used to live as I couldn't get good farm bales. Now I've relocated back to shropshire, I'm going to get farm bales again.

You can get nice bales of hay from Chaplynn's at Darlington for just £3. If you haven't got the storage, they'll sell you a large bin bag full for about £1. I use it for the piggies in my rescue near Middlesbrough x

Timothy Hay | Rabbit Hay Supplies UK

just got 2x 25lb bags of the above for £40, that includes p and p

it is scotish Thimathy, it is nowere near a good qualaty as its american counterpart,
but its not bad for the price,
a bit storky, but as l carnt get the american for a wile it will have to do.

:D I use Hay for Pets Ings hay most of the time as my girls prefer it. Sometimes they get Meadow hay just for a change. At present, Inka and Maya also have Hay for Pets Timothy hay every day, just to keep Maya happy in her last weeks. Hay for Pets Timothy looks more like stalky normal hay; not very green or fresh-looking. Fetch.co.uk and The Hay Experts both sell Western Timothy hay, the really green stuff, in small bags.

Do you still have horses? Can you just take a couple of slices off their hay bale? Or, if you have the storage, can you get nice farm bales?

Jollyes have a nice hay in 5kg packs - smelt nice, lovely and soft for nesting in and not dusty - can't remember the brand though. I was using this where I used to live as I couldn't get good farm bales. Now I've relocated back to shropshire, I'm going to get farm bales again.
Hiya no sadley horse passed away many moons ago........unfortunately I don't drive - so to buy hay for me is easier to buy online. Great advise from everyone though, thanks so much x

Timothy Hay | Rabbit Hay Supplies UK

just got 2x 25lb bags of the above for £40, that includes p and p

it is scotish Thimathy, it is nowere near a good qualaty as its american counterpart,
but its not bad for the price,
a bit storky, but as l carnt get the american for a wile it will have to do.
Gizzy - roughly what does 25kg of hay look like hahahahha...I'm thinking of storage...does it come boxed or bagged ? How long would 25kg of hay last you ?
Also I can only find 20kg ? For £40

Ahhh...
Timothy_hay_bag_dimensions.png

Gizzy - roughly what does 25kg of hay look like hahahahha...I'm thinking of storage...does it come boxed or bagged ? How long would 25kg of hay last you ?
Also I can only find 20kg ? For £40

around 5 weeks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back