• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Another piggie with a facial lump :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

funnehmare

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Came home from work today and found Fudge with a huge lump just below his lower jaw :(. Had a cuddle and veg time with him last night and felt a slightly raised patch on his jaw so I thought I'd keep an eye on it. Looked him over again this morning before work and it was still the same as the night before but it's grown massive in the time between 7 this morning and now.

It is quite a hard lump about the size of a large marble. In general he's himself though a little quieter, he seems to be eating okish, not with the same amount of gusto as usual. I have some CC on stand by if I see his eating drop/stop. Will be on the phone to the vets first thing tomorrow morning to get him seen. But I can't help but worry about the little man :(.

:(, must be the time of year! I wouldn't worry to much just yet, has he had dental problems before? x

Oh no not another one! Is there something in the air!? Good luck at the vets... I'm back there myself on Tuesday ;(

:(, must be the time of year! I wouldn't worry to much just yet, has he had dental problems before? x

He's booked in to the vets for tomorrow, managed to get a an appointment with my preferred vets so I'm feeling a little more confident about it. Unfortunately his history is a complete unknown. Since he's been with me, which is from around the end of Oct last year he's been dental issue free. This is the first thing to crop up with him. How are your Fred and Wilma doing? Been thinking of them today x

Oh no not another one! Is there something in the air!? Good luck at the vets... I'm back there myself on Tuesday ;(

It would certainly seem that way! Thankyou Pam, keeping my fingers crossed for Rodders. How is the gorgeous little patient doing? xx

Took some pigtures this morning. You can see the lump on his right side :(, reminds me a of a hammy with a full pouch.

2013-02-04094841_zpsadaa6cee.jpg

Brought Winston out with him, as he's been clinging to Fudge the last two days, think he knows something is wrong. Even caught them snuggled up together this morning, which never happens.
2013-02-04094856_zpsf07dda6e.jpg

2013-02-04094948_zpsdc2cffc4.jpg

2013-02-04095002_zps3cd38f6c.jpg

2013-02-04095015_zps39f3b0c4.jpg

2013-02-04095048_zpsbbd3f96f.jpg

and lastly of my handsome (though badly hairstyled boy)
2013-02-04094928_zps5da7753b.jpg

Last edited:
TThe pics are coming up OK for me. What beautiful boys. Good luck at the vet's with Fudge. I can't believe all these poor piggies with their facial lumps. Does sound like an abcess though only because it is growing so fast.

Aw I can see it on his face, bless him it looks like it maybe his cheek or is that just how I'm looking at the picture?! Fred and Wilma aren't exactly great, I spoke to the vet this morning and they are both booked in for Friday with a view of having a good look in Wilma's mouth and draining Fred's abscess. I can tell now my Fred's getting a little bit poorly as he's stealing all Pebbles poo's.

As always if anything changes they will be back sooner, I just can't see an end to our problems just now. I'm hoping we're getting the bad health out the way for the rest of the year.

Let us know how your little one gets on at the vet.

PS - Both your boys are gorgeous! x

Hope you get an answer about what the lump is. It's nasty when these lumps come up so quickly. Is it affecting his eye at all?

With best wishes to you & your handsome boys, shiny

I can't see the pix on my work computer but will look later - sounds like Rodney he looks like he has food stored in his face (my mum actually asked me if I was sure that waasn't what he had initially! )

Rodney isn't doing so great, he is fed up.

We are back at the vets tomorrow but I may have to leave him overnight there to have his tooth out if his results say he should be responding to what he is on they've said :(

Aw I can see it on his face, bless him it looks like it maybe his cheek or is that just how I'm looking at the picture?! Fred and Wilma aren't exactly great, I spoke to the vet this morning and they are both booked in for Friday with a view of having a good look in Wilma's mouth and draining Fred's abscess. I can tell now my Fred's getting a little bit poorly as he's stealing all Pebbles poo's.

As always if anything changes they will be back sooner, I just can't see an end to our problems just now. I'm hoping we're getting the bad health out the way for the rest of the year.

Let us know how your little one gets on at the vet.

PS - Both your boys are gorgeous! x

It starts fairly high on his cheek but extends further and ends just under his jaw line, but the bulk of the mass sits between the top and lower jaw. So trying to keep an open mind as to what it might be.

Awh I'm sorry to here Fred is starting to feel a little poorly :(, from what you've said he's been a little trooper so far with everything that has been happening.

I know it feels like it is never ending sometimes when things just don't seem to going the right way with the piggies, last year all three of my girls developed problems. Felt like I was drowning under the weight of it all. I'm sure little Wilma and Fred will begin to pick up and be bouncing around again, they just need a little time :).

Will be keeping my fingers firmly crossed for you x Sending healing wheeks from my gang xx

Thankyou :), Winston knows he isn't looking his best at the moment - mummy gave him a bad haircut apparently!

Hope you get an answer about what the lump is. It's nasty when these lumps come up so quickly. Is it affecting his eye at all?

With best wishes to you & your handsome boys, shiny

Certainly came up huge within the few hours I was away, I was pretty shocked when I picked him up. I thought he had just cleaned himself and his hair was all fluffed up as a result, but when I checked I felt the lump underneath :(.

I don't think so, I've not seen anything in his behaviour to indicate it is affecting his eye. I will ask the vet to check it out though just to be sure.

Thankyou Shiny xx

I can't see the pix on my work computer but will look later - sounds like Rodney he looks like he has food stored in his face (my mum actually asked me if I was sure that waasn't what he had initially! )

Rodney isn't doing so great, he is fed up.

We are back at the vets tomorrow but I may have to leave him overnight there to have his tooth out if his results say he should be responding to what he is on they've said :(

Oh poor little mite :(

Any update from the vets as to test results? Hoping the appointment goes well for you both tomorrow and that he doesn't need to stay and have a tooth out. It's nerve wracking not being able to do anything but wait on it.

Big hugs to you both x

Test results weren't there at lunchtime when I rang, but are expected today. Hoping they will be there tomorrow by the time I go.

He is very hungry, but has decided altho he is perfectly capable of eating his veg & will do, he prefers it to be passed to him by mummy rolleyes. I have literally just spent an hour hand passing him lettuce & green oats! He's also been tucking into some pellets soaked in warm water as he is less keen on hard & tough foods when the abscess has grown back to size... (But will gorge on really hard green oats....!) God I wish this thing would pee off! Good luck with your little man x

Test results weren't there at lunchtime when I rang, but are expected today. Hoping they will be there tomorrow by the time I go.

He is very hungry, but has decided altho he is perfectly capable of eating his veg & will do, he prefers it to be passed to him by mummy rolleyes. I have literally just spent an hour hand passing him lettuce & green oats! He's also been tucking into some pellets soaked in warm water as he is less keen on hard & tough foods when the abscess has grown back to size... (But will gorge on really hard green oats....!) God I wish this thing would pee off! Good luck with your little man x

Just caught up with Rodney's progress :) So pleased the little man is feeling better xx

Took Fudgeman to the vets with Winston for company as they both scream the place down when separated for more than five minutes or when they aren't with smelling distance. He was very quiet the whole ride but managed a little mischief (both decided it was a great idea to shove all the hay out the carrier door, covering myself and the floor with poop to boot!).

Vet had a look at him and decided the best option was to pop a needle in and see what came out. She told me he'd probably shriek the place down, and being a squealer I expected him to be extra noisy. But he was very quiet and sat patiently for her, which is not like him at all, he is the ultimate fidget! The pressure release must have been great because he didn't make a sound as she was draining it. He's on a course of anti biotics for the moment with a view of another visit next week to check on his progress and whether we need to change direction with anti biotics once the test results come back.

He's been fairly chatty today, but still not 100%. I'm worried that it's filling up again already, but I think I might be imagining it as my boyfriend says it doesn't. I have a feeling we haven't finished with this thing yet :(

Also the vet said she's seen two pigs in the last month with with facial lumps which turned out to be abscesses! What's going on in the piggy world at the moment?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back