• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Another question about Smasher !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I have posted previously re Smasher and her broken teeth. She is improving and in herself is still feisty .
I have been helping her eat small pieces of food and syringe feeding her.Her weight was 600 grams on Sunday when I first noticed her teeth and is still 600. Should she have put on weight ?

She is managing to get small pieces of food into her mouth now, which is an improvement and her teeth are growing. I have been feeding her baby food mixed with critical care...only because she won't take the cc by itself.I start off with normal food.....typically 1/8 of a banana...a little pile of grated carrot, lettuce or softened guinea food.She only manages a few mouthfuls.Then I get about 6 or 7 mls of the cc into her but she will then headbutt my hand out of the way and struggle like mad to get away.I am doing this every3/4 hours or so.Is this enough ? Does she sound like she is improving ? I'm not sure how much she is doing by herself at night time.

I am trying to look and see what she is up to, but she just sits and stares at me and stops what she is doing ! I have found her by the food bowl and she ate quite a lot of grass yest. so do you think that means she can manage hay ? I haven't seen her at the drinks bottle but she no longer wants water from a syringe.
Not sure whether to persevere or take her back to the vets ? Thanks.

atleast the weight is being maintained and she hasnt lost more

Does she live with another pig? as if you seperated them you'd get an idea of what she is eating and also the amount of dropping she does will be a good give away.

Usually you would need to give a pig atleast 100ml of syringe food a day and that is just to maintain the weight

I have seperated her with some fresh veg,so I can see if she eats any of it, but she is very attached to her mate and gets upsept, so I have to then put her back.Will she start eating more, now she is getting food into herself ?I'm not sure how long it takes for them to be able to use their teeth properly, they are about halfway now.

Well I believe their lower incisors can grown 1/8th of an inch over a few days. Id still keep syringe feeding her - are her droppings okay?

I have a dental piggy atm who is only eating a bit of his softened gerty food - he had his lower incisors trimmed a little low but they do grow quick.

Can you not seperate them and put the cages next to each other or something so they can see one another?

Yes, I could...I have just introduced a baby guinea and I was worried that the others would all be bonding without poor Smasher ! She is passing a small amount of droppings.If I can get some food into her mouth, which she is chewing and swallowing, do you think her molars will be ok ? Sorry...am new to all this ! I have had guineas for years but never had any probs...they all lived to ripe ages ailment free !

I am enjoying the handfeeding....she looks so cute wrapped up in her towel...resting a paw on the syringe !

Ive had pigs since 2001 and this is only my second dental piggy that Ive got - so I am also new to it. Is she dripping at all? Mines molars dont wear down in places so he has to see a rodentologist now every few months but this time round he doesnt seem to be doing as well as he did last time :/ will have to see how he does.

May need to keep an eye on the molars as if she isnt eaten much hay etc she wont be grinding them down well enough.

Glad to hear Smasher is maintaining her weight - that is a good sign. As Hanwombat said seperating can be a good way of seeing who eats and poo's what.

If piggie doesn't like to be away from her pal you may be able to seperate within cage.
We did this occasionally with 'Pitch & Putt' using the C&C we use for the run. http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.jsp?isSearch=true&fh_search=black+wire+mesh We fixed them together using 'cable tidys' and divided the cage up, only normally for an hour, just to see what is going on.

The thing with pigs is they can be so secretive and as soon as the notice you freeze and stop what they are doing, try to stay in for an hour or so and observe what she is up to. Stay in the background so they'll be unaware of you and go about there 'piggle business' Hope thing's improve soon

Thanks everyone.Have just fed Smasher.She took a few pieces of banana and g food flakes...and 12 mls of syringed food.....I can't get any more into her.I have seperated her and left her with some salad leaves.

If I coudln't feel her bones or see she was having trouble picking up food, I wouldn't think anything was wrong...she is still running around, grooming herself and sitting pride of place in the food bowl ! Do you think that means she must be getting some food / water down by herself ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back