• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Another scratch h

Kittykatindeed

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Here is my older boar, who’s with my 2 year old sow.
Today he seems to have a misplaced scratch as well and pig mommy feels so bad ! I’ve washed it with a saline rinse and will keep an eye on it.

I’m sure he got it from trying tobe frisky with the sow ,but is there anything else I can do for him?

Attachments

Siikibam

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Unfortunately there's nothing you can do. As long as she knows how to tell him no then hopefully he will eventually learn and calm down a little! I'll tag @PigglePuggle and @Piggies&buns

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi!

Just disinfect it with some mild antiseptic and keep the lady's nails cut short.

It looks like either a misjudged back foot swipe or a misjudged nip. if necessary have her checked for ovarian cysts if she is adult and more grumpy than normal.
Sows: Behaviour and female health problems (including ovarian cysts)

Keep an eye out on how the two are getting along. If it was a serious altercation then it should show up in a certain tenseness and keeping out of each other's way. If he is a pushy new boy (teenage or young adult), then he will have hopefully learned his lesson now...

Kittykatindeed

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi!

Just disinfect it with some mild antiseptic and keep the lady's nails cut short.

It looks like either a misjudged back foot swipe or a misjudged nip. if necessary have her checked for ovarian cysts if she is adult and more grumpy than normal.
Sows: Behaviour and female health problems (including ovarian cysts)

Keep an eye out on how the two are getting along. If it was a serious altercation then it should show up in a certain tenseness and keeping out of each other's way. If he is a pushy new boy (teenage or young adult), then he will have hopefully learned his lesson now...
They don’t seem bothered , they’re found next to each other still. She’s spayed, so luckily no ovaries to have cysts. But he has been a little too friendly so I believe he’s just being annoying, he’s just over a year old

I’ll keep an eye on it and keep washing it thank you! I cut all of the pigs nails after seeing the scratch !

Winniepeg

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Good luck with your piggies. I hope they settle 😁

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
They don’t seem bothered , they’re found next to each other still. She’s spayed, so luckily no ovaries to have cysts. But he has been a little too friendly so I believe he’s just being annoying, he’s just over a year old

I’ll keep an eye on it and keep washing it thank you! I cut all of the pigs nails after seeing the scratch !
Teenagers can be persistent pests until their hormones settle down more. I've had a few of them!
Sorry, but I am going through so many different threads that I can't keep track - that's literally a thousands of piggies in the last decade.