• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Antibiotics for UTI for 8 days

truegemini

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello,

My guinea pig Rosie was seen on Bank Holiday by an emergency vet as I found blood on her bedding and noticed she was squeaking when going to the toilet. I was given Meloxaid and Baytril and after 24-48 hours she seemed much better. I've continued giving the antibiotics, last night when I came in from work she lost coordination, is stumberling around and her head is tilted. Shes still eating although I haven't seen her drink. I rang the emergency vet last night and they said there wasnt much more they can do for her to see usual vet this morning.
Usual vet is on holiday, vet at the practice didnt take a proper history from me as the nurse took her in and I had to stay outside. She tried to give me the same medications, when I said I had been giving them already, she said give her another 24hrs? I dont want her to suffer!
Has anyone else been in a similar situation? Any advice? I've tried getting a 2nd opinion but vets not taking on new animals

Thanks!

Piggies&buns

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
stumbling and head tilt would lead me to think either ear infection or maybe some kind of neurological issue.
Baytril would most likely be what was prescribed for an ear infection but were her ears checked at all? She really needs to be checked out.

truegemini

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Sorry I didnt make it very clear, i took her to the vets this morning and they said just to give her another 24 hours of the medication. I hadnt thought she might have an ear infection at the same time. The vet said she was fine this morning 😫

PigglePuggle

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
I agree with @Piggies&buns that the symptoms you describe sound rather like an ear infection or neurological problem, and are probably not related to the UTI. If piggy has picked up a different infection while taking a course of baytril then the new infection may be resistant to baytril and need a different antibiotic. I think you need to be quite insistent with the vet here that these are possibly separate health issues and that the head tilt and stumbling require a new set of investigations and treatment. Paws crossed you can get some help, either from your original vet or a different one- perhaps there are other vets at your usual practice you could ask to see, who are more experienced with piggies?