• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Antihistamine

Status
Not open for further replies.

BonBon2010

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
How do you dose a guinea pig? I have some piriton (sp) and wondering whether it's ok for piggies? They're in tablet form, if ok, do I crush a tablet to powder form and give it through a syringe mixed with water?

i'd only give them if the vet has prescribed them and told you the safe dose.

when my rabbit matt had them at one stage, the vet gave them in tablet form but i can't remember how much he had. something like 1/8 of 1/4 tablet i think. he was 2.4kg so for a piggy i would think it would be alot less, so definitely check with the vets first :)

I've got the aldi's version, probably watered down to make it cheaper :/ (bought it for myself originally, hence why I have about 3 packets in the cupboard)..

Piriton in tablet form is also extremely bitter which may make your piggies sick..as they have no gag reflex they could choke. Also the tablets do not disperse completely when crushed and added to water so another choking risk.

Biggest thing as stated before unless prescribed by a vet please do not give to your piggies :) why exactly are you thinking they need it if you don't mind me asking?

Also just to add to the above comments - why are you wanting to give them antihistamines, are you certain that allergies is the problem?

She's always got watery eyes, and a bad reflux when eating, she has at times been nasal too. I'm trying to eliminate possible causes which seems worse after clean out. She's under the vet, and we were going to look at antihistamines in general, the only reason I ask out the above type, is it's what I already have, I just needed to know whether i could give it her.
She's been unwell for a very long time, but only recently has it become life threatening.

She's always got watery eyes, and a bad reflux when eating, she has at times been nasal too. I'm trying to eliminate possible causes which seems worse after clean out. She's under the vet, and we were going to look at antihistamines in general, the only reason I ask out the above type, is it's what I already have, I just needed to know whether i could give it her.
She's been unwell for a very long time, but only recently has it become life threatening.
Bless her I hope she gets better poor little one. Maybe the vet will suggest childrens piriton in liquid form. I do hope she gets better. What type of bedding do you use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back