• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Anxiety Over Piggy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rochester Piggy

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hey all,
I have one gorgeous piggy Cali. She is 3 years old and I love her dearly. She lives alone because her sister passed away of illness, and she will not accept a friend. The problem is I worry about her excessively.

I usually weigh her daily and today she lost one gram (which I know is a normal fluctuation), and according to my boyfriend "you reacted like that pig was dying". What he means was I held her and cried into her fur, and he had to wrestle her out of my hands. I didn't want to let go of her because I thought he was going to go bury her next to her sister.

I'm not always like this, this is only if I think she has an illness. I am the same way with my chickens and my dog. According to most sources, this makes me a great pet owner! I'm confused. What's wrong with me?

Heyy.
My understanding or guess is that you have an overwhelming love for your animals.
You may still be in the grieving process and so you may be finding it difficult to not worry about the sister pig.
Do what you need to do, hold that pig and love her be that piggy friend she needs and you need.
She too is grieving.

I hope this helps to make you feel like your actions are normal.
I hope Cali can make a new friend and I hope you cheer up soon :)

I think it's perfectly normal to whittle over our furbabies. Afterall they are our responsibility and we have them to love them and give them as best life as possible. I think sometimes we scare ourselves when reading up on things and hence we freak at the littlest things. I had vets laugh when I booked an appointment because Mo was sneezing! I think it does make you a good pet owners because you're more aware of the change in your animal and quicker to respond to illness etc.

I think it's normal to grieve a loss and be more concerned after just having lost a pig. However, I also wonder about anxiety and if the worry is impacting your life in a negative way, causing you to ruminate on the 'what ifs' to the point that you don't enjoy your time with your pets because you are so concerned about potential emergencies. If that's the case, it may be worth talking to a doctor or counselor about anxiety (coming from someone who struggles with anxiety myself.) Excessive worry really isn't very productive... it doesn't prevent what we worry about and causes us emotional distress even when there is nothing actually wrong so that we don't enjoy the good times as much as we could, so if you find that is a pattern it might be worth talking it out. There are also cognitive-behavioral tools out there that can help you to be more aware of 'catastrophic thinking' (i.e. the quick leap from 'normal fluctuation in weight' to 'on her way to be buried') so that you can learn to reality-check your thoughts a bit and can stop overly anxious trains of thought before they get away from you. I'm definitely not trying to be an armchair diagnostician, but I know it's something that has been problematic for me at various times and I didn't truly get it under control until I was in my mid-to-late twenties with children, and it would have been better for me (and the kids) if I had gotten a handle on my runaway panic thoughts a lot earlier in life, so I'm just trying to give you the perspective of someone who has had to take a long look at myself and realize that yes, my worries were not well controlled and were negatively affecting me and I needed to make some changes.

Thanks guys. I have another thread called "6 months later still grieving" because her sister passed away almost 6 months ago. You can search it up if you wish.

I think it's perfectly normal to whittle over our furbabies. Afterall they are our responsibility and we have them to love them and give them as best life as possible. I think sometimes we scare ourselves when reading up on things and hence we freak at the littlest things. I had vets laugh when I booked an appointment because Mo was sneezing! I think it does make you a good pet owners because you're more aware of the change in your animal and quicker to respond to illness etc.
I read a thread here about a pig who passed very suddenly despite showing no signs of illness, and when I read it I rushed to the cage, grabbed her and gave her a health check! She was squeaking the whole time like "Mom, I'm healthy! Put me down!" and I got bit when I checked her teeth! I weighed her and she is 1145 grams.

I think it's normal to grieve a loss and be more concerned after just having lost a pig. However, I also wonder about anxiety and if the worry is impacting your life in a negative way, causing you to ruminate on the 'what ifs' to the point that you don't enjoy your time with your pets because you are so concerned about potential emergencies. If that's the case, it may be worth talking to a doctor or counselor about anxiety (coming from someone who struggles with anxiety myself.) Excessive worry really isn't very productive... it doesn't prevent what we worry about and causes us emotional distress even when there is nothing actually wrong so that we don't enjoy the good times as much as we could, so if you find that is a pattern it might be worth talking it out. There are also cognitive-behavioral tools out there that can help you to be more aware of 'catastrophic thinking' (i.e. the quick leap from 'normal fluctuation in weight' to 'on her way to be buried') so that you can learn to reality-check your thoughts a bit and can stop overly anxious trains of thought before they get away from you. I'm definitely not trying to be an armchair diagnostician, but I know it's something that has been problematic for me at various times and I didn't truly get it under control until I was in my mid-to-late twenties with children, and it would have been better for me (and the kids) if I had gotten a handle on my runaway panic thoughts a lot earlier in life, so I'm just trying to give you the perspective of someone who has had to take a long look at myself and realize that yes, my worries were not well controlled and were negatively affecting me and I needed to make some changes.
I get what you mean with the quick leap thing. I was crying and hanging onto Cali and didn't want to let go of her. Apparently I kept saying "don't bury her. I know she can make it." and my boyfriend kept saying over and over he just wanted to hold her. I think at the moment I thought he was gonna take her to bury her when deep down inside I knew he was just going to put her back in the cage!

Hey all,
I have one gorgeous piggy Cali. She is 3 years old and I love her dearly. She lives alone because her sister passed away of illness, and she will not accept a friend. The problem is I worry about her excessively.

I usually weigh her daily and today she lost one gram (which I know is a normal fluctuation), and according to my boyfriend "you reacted like that pig was dying". What he means was I held her and cried into her fur, and he had to wrestle her out of my hands. I didn't want to let go of her because I thought he was going to go bury her next to her sister.

I'm not always like this, this is only if I think she has an illness. I am the same way with my chickens and my dog. According to most sources, this makes me a great pet owner! I'm confused. What's wrong with me?

Hi!

I am very sorry about your problem!

There is a line between a caring and an over-anxious pet owner.

It is normal to be more jumpy after having lost a piggy and having a flashback/your fears rearing up. However, if you cannot control this, then you have crossed a certain line and may want to take measures to work around this issue until you are able to cope again.

You have to take into account that your hear much more online from over-anxious people than you hear from those at the other end, and that controlling behaviour is of course more applauded and rewarded, especially by those who grapple with their own anxiety because it gives them more justifcation to prove that they are good owners.
Weighing daily is only necessary when your guinea pig is showing symptoms of acute illness and if the food intake is impacted; normally a weekly weigh-in is sufficient.

We all frear the thought of losing a/another guinea pig, but even though we grieve no less when it happens and can be very upset especially if it happens unexpectedly, we can keep it in perspective and we know that we are good owners with reasonable, but not excessive care - simply by giving our piggies a good life as long as they have and by seeing a vet promptly whenever that is really necessary.

But there are those who panic at the sheer thought of a piggy falling ill (never mind dying), which often leads to excessive controlling and in some cases obsessive/compulsive behaviour like daily or several times daily weighing, urine testing etc.
If this results in a panic attack whenever something is even the slightest bit wrong - even when results are well within normal and actually more than healthy parameters - then you have crossed the line between being a caring owner into being an over-anxious owner.
Pet bereavement is a condition that is recognised and that can trigger mental illness problems in anybody, so there is no shame in that. Many long term owners have had a brush with it at some point over a special piggy or if they have suffered several losses in short succession.

If you belong to this second group or if you find that you have meltdowns over health checks, PLEASE stay away from scales and test strips! That is really opening a can of worms for you!
Instead of weighing and testing yourself, please ask your partner/friend/family members to weigh your piggies once weekly out of your sight and to tell you whether the weight is within normal parameters (i.e. within the 30-50g weight band a piggy usually moves in; weight is rarely completely stable down to the last gram). Only if your guinea pig is showing other signs of illness (usually two or more symptoms, not just one) and you have real reason to worry about a diminished food intake, you and whoever does the health check for you switch to weighing daily until you see a vet and your piggy is well on the way to recovery.

Your partner is welcome to register on here for the time being, so we can intruct them on what to look out for and what the normal parameters are - or if necessaryto come on and ask if and whenever they have any doubts, so you have got a counterbalance to help you cope with your current anxiety issue but retain the safety net that you require. ;)

Weighing and testing far more than reasonably necessary only serves to feed your anxiety problem right now (which can easily develop into obsessive/compulsive behaviours as a kind of coping mechanism by frequent checking and over-control), but it does not in any way contribute to your own or your guinea pigs' ultimate wellbeing when you stress out about them well in disproportion to what is going on.
If you find that you cannot hand over the health checks and continue to have meltdowns, please seek support for your anxiety problem before it can take control of you and seriously impact on your relationship with both your guinea pigs and your partner/family, and spoil any enjoyment of your beloved pets when you end up watching like a hawk over the tiniest sign of anything out of the ordinary instead of laughing over their antics, adventures and taking any health issues in stride without feeling the need to rush them to the out-of-hours vets at the first sneeze. ;)

Being a good pet owner means finding the balance between outright neglect and over-control. It means keeping a casual eye on your piggies without feeling the need to control every aspect at every single moment in time and panicking when your piggy has lost a single gram in a day. You can start worrying if a piggy loses 50g or more, but you really should be able to enjoy your piggies without getting a panic attack or breaking out in tears unless they are really seriously ill. ;)

I hope that you can work things out so you do not have a meltdown over your guinea pigs when in fact they are perfectly healthy and even your brain is telling you that. Loss of a beloved pet can unfortunately come out in different ways.
It is important to check and address any aspects that are not a "normal" reaction and seek help if necessary; it doesn't mean that you are ill, just that you may need a bit of support. Your mind can metaphorically suffer a bad sprain or a bad back, too, if it has bumped into something it has not developed a coping mechanism or has tried to lift a load that is too heavy for your soul. Finding somebody who is willing to listen and take you serious is the best help you can get for yourself. Often that is all that is needed.

The fact that you recognise that something is not quite right means that you still got sound judgement, and should hopefully get over it with a little support. There are free bereavement phone lines if that is something you would like to try. ;)

Hi!

I am very sorry about your problem!

There is a line between a caring and an over-anxious pet owner.

It is normal to be more jumpy after having lost a piggy and having a flashback/your fears rearing up. However, if you cannot control this, then you have crossed a certain line and may want to take measures to work around this issue until you are able to cope again.

You have to take into account that your hear much more online from over-anxious people than you hear from those at the other end, and that controlling behaviour is of course more applauded and rewarded, especially by those who grapple with their own anxiety because it gives them more justifcation to prove that they are good owners.
Weighing daily is only necessary when your guinea pig is showing symptoms of acute illness and if the food intake is impacted; normally a weekly weigh-in is sufficient.

We all frear the thought of losing a/another guinea pig, but even though we grieve no less when it happens and can be very upset especially if it happens unexpectedly, we can keep it in perspective and we know that we are good owners with reasonable, but not excessive care - simply by giving our piggies a good life as long as they have and by seeing a vet promptly whenever that is really necessary.

But there are those who panic at the sheer thought of a piggy falling ill (never mind dying), which often leads to excessive controlling and in some cases obsessive/compulsive behaviour like daily or several times daily weighing, urine testing etc.
If this results in a panic attack whenever something is even the slightest bit wrong - even when results are well within normal and actually more than healthy parameters - then you have crossed the line between being a caring owner into being an over-anxious owner.
Pet bereavement is a condition that is recognised and that can trigger mental illness problems in anybody, so there is no shame in that. Many long term owners have had a brush with it at some point over a special piggy or if they have suffered several losses in short succession.

If you belong to this second group or if you find that you have meltdowns over health checks, PLEASE stay away from scales and test strips! That is really opening a can of worms for you!
Instead of weighing and testing yourself, please ask your partner/friend/family members to weigh your piggies once weekly out of your sight and to tell you whether the weight is within normal parameters (i.e. within the 30-50g weight band a piggy usually moves in; weight is rarely completely stable down to the last gram). Only if your guinea pig is showing other signs of illness (usually two or more symptoms, not just one) and you have real reason to worry about a diminished food intake, you and whoever does the health check for you switch to weighing daily until you see a vet and your piggy is well on the way to recovery.

Your partner is welcome to register on here for the time being, so we can intruct them on what to look out for and what the normal parameters are - or if necessaryto come on and ask if and whenever they have any doubts, so you have got a counterbalance to help you cope with your current anxiety issue but retain the safety net that you require. ;)

Weighing and testing far more than reasonably necessary only serves to feed your anxiety problem right now (which can easily develop into obsessive/compulsive behaviours as a kind of coping mechanism by frequent checking and over-control), but it does not in any way contribute to your own or your guinea pigs' ultimate wellbeing when you stress out about them well in disproportion to what is going on.
If you find that you cannot hand over the health checks and continue to have meltdowns, please seek support for your anxiety problem before it can take control of you and seriously impact on your relationship with both your guinea pigs and your partner/family, and spoil any enjoyment of your beloved pets when you end up watching like a hawk over the tiniest sign of anything out of the ordinary instead of laughing over their antics, adventures and taking any health issues in stride without feeling the need to rush them to the out-of-hours vets at the first sneeze. ;)

Being a good pet owner means finding the balance between outright neglect and over-control. It means keeping a casual eye on your piggies without feeling the need to control every aspect at every single moment in time and panicking when your piggy has lost a single gram in a day. You can start worrying if a piggy loses 50g or more, but you really should be able to enjoy your piggies without getting a panic attack or breaking out in tears unless they are really seriously ill. ;)

I hope that you can work things out so you do not have a meltdown over your guinea pigs when in fact they are perfectly healthy and even your brain is telling you that. Loss of a beloved pet can unfortunately come out in different ways.
It is important to check and address any aspects that are not a "normal" reaction and seek help if necessary; it doesn't mean that you are ill, just that you may need a bit of support. Your mind can metaphorically suffer a bad sprain or a bad back, too, if it has bumped into something it has not developed a coping mechanism or has tried to lift a load that is too heavy for your soul. Finding somebody who is willing to listen and take you serious is the best help you can get for yourself. Often that is all that is needed.

The fact that you recognise that something is not quite right means that you still got sound judgement, and should hopefully get over it with a little support. There are free bereavement phone lines if that is something you would like to try. ;)
Thank you! I usually do he health check and my boyfriend weighs her when I'm in another room or out shopping. Weighing is what freaks me out, not health checks, because before my other piggy died, she lost 350 grams in 12 hrs.

Thank you! I usually do he health check and my boyfriend weighs her when I'm in another room or out shopping. Weighing is what freaks me out, not health checks, because before my other piggy died, she lost 350 grams in 12 hrs.

I've never come across a weight loss of 350g in just 12 hours; are you sure that the bowl was properly centered on the scales and the batteries were working and you not misreading the scales in the stress? Major weight loss is generally due to either a pain issue somehwere, an obstruction to the digestive process or the inability to process nutrients when organs fail and the body closes down.

I have had several piggies that have lost 100g in 24 hours of not eating or drinking at all, especially in the early days when weekend cover was not necessarily available and piggy savvy vets for emergency operations were far and few in between. :(
Any larger weight loss has always been over the course of more than one day although if a guinea pig is not eating properly for some time, they can lose a lot weight very quickly in just a few days, especially when they have fat reserves they can tuck in.

But it is truly frightening when your piggy is going downhill very quickly very unexpectedly and it can really throw you.

Try to concentrate to see every day with them as a gift; you only have your piggies on loan. You can never control when they die and what they die from. By their very nature, they do not live all that long. But you can make every day special.

Instead of a daily health check, rather plan something you want to do with your piggies, be it a special treat, a special cuddle, something new like pegging an old hankie to the bars letting them play in their piled up soiled cosies or underneath a soiled fleece before they go in the wash; that is always a real treat for mine which they relish! It doesn't take much, but finding a positive activity every day can hopefully get you away from fixating on death, so you can look back and really say that you have made the best of every day you were blessed to have a piggy of yours in your life.
It takes some conscious training at first, but the more you focus on the joy an making every day an adventure, the more your worries about their health and their weight will hopefully fade. You will also see how well they are if you plan a daily activity.

There is generally very little that you can do when a piggy suddenly goes downhill very quickly, apart from trying to be grateful that it hasn't suffered for long and that you have given it the best of lives.

The pain of the loss never gets easier, but it is easier to let them go in peace when you know that you have done so much to make their life a rich and happy one. I have found that this attitude has really helped me cope with my own losses. I also always start counting "extra time" when a piggy has made it through a severe illness or major operation, so I am grateful for any time left rather than squander it by staring at the inevitable end or on the what ifs. ;)

I've never come across a weight loss of 350g in just 12 hours; are you sure that the bowl was properly centered on the scales and the batteries were working and you not misreading the scales in the stress? Major weight loss is generally due to either a pain issue somehwere, an obstruction to the digestive process or the inability to process nutrients when organs fail and the body closes down.

I have had several piggies that have lost 100g in 24 hours of not eating or drinking at all, especially in the early days when weekend cover was not necessarily available and piggy savvy vets for emergency operations were far and few in between. :(
Any larger weight loss has always been over the course of more than one day although if a guinea pig is not eating properly for some time, they can lose a lot weight very quickly in just a few days, especially when they have fat reserves they can tuck in.

But it is truly frightening when your piggy is going downhill very quickly very unexpectedly and it can really throw you.

Try to concentrate to see every day with them as a gift; you only have your piggies on loan. You can never control when they die and what they die from. By their very nature, they do not live all that long. But you can make every day special.

Instead of a daily health check, rather plan something you want to do with your piggies, be it a special treat, a special cuddle, something new like pegging an old hankie to the bars letting them play in their piled up soiled cosies or underneath a soiled fleece before they go in the wash; that is always a real treat for mine which they relish! It doesn't take much, but finding a positive activity every day can hopefully get you away from fixating on death, so you can look back and really say that you have made the best of every day you were blessed to have a piggy of yours in your life.
It takes some conscious training at first, but the more you focus on the joy an making every day an adventure, the more your worries about their health and their weight will hopefully fade. You will also see how well they are if you plan a daily activity.

There is generally very little that you can do when a piggy suddenly goes downhill very quickly, apart from trying to be grateful that it hasn't suffered for long and that you have given it the best of lives.

The pain of the loss never gets easier, but it is easier to let them go in peace when you know that you have done so much to make their life a rich and happy one. I have found that this attitude has really helped me cope with my own losses. I also always start counting "extra time" when a piggy has made it through a severe illness or major operation, so I am grateful for any time left rather than squander it by staring at the inevitable end or on the what ifs. ;)
That is lovely. ❤ the way you have written that is just beautiful x

Today I fed her grass for the first time this year and then I read the thing on here about bloat and grass and I kept checking her. She's fine. Cali is a very healthy piggy and always passes health checks. I am always on alert for any issues

Today I fed her grass for the first time this year and then I read the thing on here about bloat and grass and I kept checking her. She's fine. Cali is a very healthy piggy and always passes health checks. I am always on alert for any issues

The grass feeding guide is important for people who put their piggies out on the lawn without any preparation, especially new guinea pigs that have never had grass in their life and whose guts are not prepared for it. :(
Feeding a handful in the cage is normally not a problem if Cali has had it before and if she has no issues with her digestion already. Most often common sense will lead you on the right path. The guides are there for people who have got no idea how to make sure that their piggies don't come to any harm, so if in doubt, we err on the side of caution when writing them. ;)

Hang on in there, but try not to worry as much as you do right now. You are a caring piggy mum, just a very jittery one right now!

PS: If you want to do me a favour, please keep your fingers crossed for my freshly operated Nesta! She's gone off her food between a very strong antibiotic and a very sore mouth from having her longest tooth extracted plus the abscess at the root of it lanced over the course of yesterday, as the operation drugs have stared to wear off.
And that straight on the heels of losing 3 of my piggies since the end of February; the two younger of which I had to rush to the out-of-hours vets for pts because they'd deteriorated too quickly for meds to kick in. My youngest, Angharad was only on Palm Sunday. :(

Believe me, I fully know how a sudden death can upset you! But I also know that it is worth hanging in there and concentrating on the positive aspects because there will be better times again. Bad things happen from time to time, but then I have a smooth run for a few years again when all goes well. It averages out.
You just have to learn to accept that with such small and fairly fragile pets there are often limits as to what you can do and that you cannot plan how long they live. It is a tough lesson, but for me always worth the joy they bring into my life. However, losing one piggy doesn't mean that you lose the others straight away or that they will all pass from the same issue. Trying to uncouple that bit is the tricky part for you, as it is a post-traumatic reaction. ;)

The grass feeding guide is important for people who put their piggies out on the lawn without any preparation, especially new guinea pigs that have never had grass in their life and whose guts are not prepared for it. :(
Feeding a handful in the cage is normally not a problem if Cali has had it before and if she has no issues with her digestion already. Most often common sense will lead you on the right path. The guides are there for people who have got no idea how to make sure that their piggies don't come to any harm, so if in doubt, we err on the side of caution when writing them. ;)

Hang on in there, but try not to worry as much as you do right now. You are a caring piggy mum, just a very jittery one right now!

PS: If you want to do me a favour, please keep your fingers crossed for my freshly operated Nesta! She's gone off her food between a very strong antibiotic and a very sore mouth from having her longest tooth extracted plus the abscess at the root of it lanced over the course of yesterday, as the operation drugs have stared to wear off.
And that straight on the heels of losing 3 of my piggies since the end of February; the two younger of which I had to rush to the out-of-hours vets for pts because they'd deteriorated too quickly for meds to kick in. My youngest, Angharad was only on Palm Sunday. :(

Believe me, I fully know how a sudden death can upset you! But I also know that it is worth hanging in there and concentrating on the positive aspects because there will be better times again. Bad things happen from time to time, but then I have a smooth run for a few years again when all goes well. It averages out.
You just have to learn to accept that with such small and fairly fragile pets there are often limits as to what you can do and that you cannot plan how long they live. It is a tough lesson, but for me always worth the joy they bring into my life. However, losing one piggy doesn't mean that you lose the others straight away or that they will all pass from the same issue. Trying to uncouple that bit is the tricky part for you, as it is a post-traumatic reaction. ;)
She had grass last autumn and it had been a year since this grass was treated with chemicals. I took her travel cage (1x2 C&C), took the coropast out of it,then set Cali on the grass and set it over her. I then draped my jacket over half of it to shade it. She just sat there doing nothing for a few minutes and then ate grass for about 10 minutes and then I brought her inside.

She had grass last autumn and it had been a year since this grass was treated with chemicals. I took her travel cage (1x2 C&C), took the coropast out of it,then set Cali on the grass and set it over her. I then draped my jacket over half of it to shade it. She just sat there doing nothing for a few minutes and then ate grass for about 10 minutes and then I brought her inside.

Fine! Next time the ground is warm and dry to your own bare feet, she can got out normally on the lawn. She'll be used to it by then. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back