• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

any 1 got advice bonding 2 boars of similar age?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chrissy88

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi. I'm writing this for a friend as she hasn't got internet atm.

Basically she had 2 boars and 1 died a few months back so she decided to her lonely boy a friend one of her neighbours had a guinea who she couldn't have anymore so asked if she would take him so she did. She went to vets all ok.

Atm her new boy is next to her other boy with a wire mesh between them. She said that her original boy follows the new guy intently and there is some chattering going on.

Any body got any advice to hopefully have a successful pairing or is it impossible when they are both same age? 8/9 month old

Hi

It's not impossible to bond two boars of the same age, but it can be difficult especially as these are the age they are - humpy teenagers!

Have a read of this thread to see what is 'normal'

http://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=28949

Being together with a wire divider is a good start. Then swap the pigs over each day into the other side, so they can get used to the other's scent.

Introduce on neutral territory, with a dustpan or towel at the ready to separate them if it turns nasty. Chasing, humping, chattering is all fairly normal but once they have established who is boss, it should improve. It may be difficult as these two are closely matched in age, but it very much depends on temperament.

Space is vital - 2 boars need LOTS of space, especially at first - and two food bowls etc. so they're not competing for resources

Sophie
x

It is probably the most difficult age to bond boars, so your friend has to either decide to wait until the boars are over one year old (12-15 months) and their hormones have settled or risk a much higher probability of there being bloody fights. Boars usually do not rebond after a fight with bloddy bites, so she has to think hard on it.

Or she can try to find a reputable rescue with baby boars where she can take her two boars for some boar dating. She will end up with four boars that way, but will have a better chance at things staying stable, espcially if the boars can choose their new mate. Small Paws in the Manchester area is a rescue I can warmly recommend!

Here are tips for bonding:
http://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=38562

Thanks will pass on tips. Yeah i don't think she will be able to get 2 more piggies. And thanks for thread links =)

Oh, the trouble we had with our boars.....

I know lots of people have boars with great relationships and it is certainly not imossible to bond two boars, or even uncommon.

Unfortunately, although there are a few things you can do if they start fighting (shared bathing, having two of everything etc.), it's really up to them as to whether they will get on or not. You can't really force two piggies to be friends :(

Our two started off as great friends until the hormones hit and now they have their own cages and can't even play together...

Best of luck - I hope they make it :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back