• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Any advice for diarrhea please

valsie

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
My 5yr old male guinea pig Treacle had dental treatment under GA on Tuesday this week. He has a few mouth/teeth problems but the vet is very good and trying his best for him. He is very underweight and weighs in today at 725g, he has lost a lot of weight over the last few months.
Anyway, he was sent home with Loxicom (painkiller) and Co-Trimoxazole (antibiotic). He’s been doing well, eating veggies, hay and I’m supplementing him with Critical Care several times a day. I have been mixing oats and grated sweet potato in with the CC to try and get him to put some weight on and he has put on 25g since Tuesday.
Today he’s got diarrhea, and I wondered if it could be the antibiotic causing it and whether I should stop giving it to him. He’s been eating quite a bit of veg (lettuce, parsley, spinach, tomato, carrot, celery, cucumber). I won’t give him any more veg today and until the diarrhea clears up. I’m not too sure how much hay he’s eating and I have seen him in the hay box but he shares the room (indoor piggies) with another piggy so it’s difficult to gauge who’s eating the hay.
I’ve rang the vets this afternoon but unfortunately Treacle’s vet is not working until Monday now.
Any thought/advice would be greatly appreciated....I’m worried that having the diarrhea will make him drop weight again 😢.

Please take him off veg for 24-48 hours after the diarrhoea stops. If it doesn’t stop after taking him off fresh veg, please consult your vet.

It’s impossible to say whether the antibiotics are causing it but it’s a possibility

:agr:

Very runny diarrhoea and he will need to see an emergency out of hours vet. It isn’t something which can wait.

And to add

Hay needs to be the biggest proportion of the diet. Any weight gain should be because he is eating enough hay as it makes 80% of the diet. And any weight loss is because they aren’t eating enough hay.
They should only have 50g of veg per day and as it only constitutes 15% of the daily food intake you can see that it won’t play a huge part in weight gain or loss. (parsley and spinach are high in calcium, carrot and tomato are too high in sugar and acid - all of these items should only be fed once per week)

Back