• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Any Advice please - mites

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacs

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I just wondered if any of you could give me any further advice my piggies have mites, I noticed them on Thursday after was Freddie scratching and when looking in the day light outside i noticed them . Anyway I have put 'Spot on' and i was assured that it would kill the mites in 24 hours and would last 4 weeks, I did check them yesterday and couldn't see anything else but have noticed them still scratching. I have also done all the other stuff like disfecting everything and cleaning bedding and run bases etc..Should I be doing anything else? I have not had piggies with mites or fleas etc before so I am new to this.

Is the 'spot on' the best thing to get or should I have got the shampoo as i was advised not to get them both.

BTW None of the piggies have scabs or any skin problems because of the mites.

if it helps our piglet has mites the vet recommends injections 10 days apart 3 jabs total

No I have just been advised on another forum my piggies probably have lice not mites and I know what else to do to deal with them.

Lice and mites are both treated with a 'spot on' ivermectin usually, injections are only used in cases where the skin is not clearing up. Mites dont always burrow under the skin thats usually just demodex which causes mange. Spot on should be fine, if it doesnt have much effect it can be repeated at 10 and 20 days, then the next step would be injections.

x.

Lice and mites are both treated with a 'spot on' ivermectin usually, injections are only used in cases where the skin is not clearing up. Mites dont always burrow under the skin thats usually just demodex which causes mange. Spot on should be fine, if it doesnt have much effect it can be repeated at 10 and 20 days, then the next step would be injections.

x.

Thank you for your advice :) I would not put my piggies through injections until I had tried everything else as I know they can be painful for them. My piggies have no skin problems from the lice so I just needed to get rid of the lice. Someone had recommend a spray for them from Pets at home which i tried yesterday and which has cleared them of the lice and I need to repeat the spray in 5 days time. I have done the necessary cleaning and disfecting everything again and both piggies seem much more comfortable as they not scratching anymore, so as I said i will repeat the spray etc again and then take it from there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back