• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Any experience with Mites?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
We got two little Guinea Pigs on Sunday, and I have notices a small patch of skin one the back of one of them that has no hair on it, and a little bit crusty. My first thought was Mites. I am not sure, but I don't want to hang around in having him treated incase it is painful for him.

I've got some Beaphar Anti-Parasite Spot-On, which suggests applying it behind the ear area, but should I apply it directly onto the crusty skin area?

I'm not against taking him to the vet to have it looked at, but he is proving to be a very nervous little piggy, and is absolutely terrified at the moment. The last thing I want to do is uproot him from his hutch and start transporting him about in a little box. I was hoping the Beaphar Anti-Parasite Spot-On would work and save him any unecessary stress.

Any tips or advice would be greatly received as although I have had Guinea Pigs for many years, it has been a very long time since I have encountered any health problems with them.

Thanks

Reaction score
Is it itchy? Mites usually makes them verry itchy.
I am not too sure about the spot-on, have never used it.

I would go to the vets just in case. My Squeek is an excessive barber, and barbers himself so bad that he has a couple of hairless patches.
I am 99% sure its because of barbering but took him and Toffee his cagememate to the vets in anycase for the injection for mites.
My vet agreed that its probably not mites, as they could not find anything on the scrapes they took, but gave the shot just for incase.
It cannot do them any harm. Your piggie will recover verry fast from the ordeal, and you will feel better that they have had a good check-over from the vet.

Reaction score
It doesn't appear to be bothering him. I had a good look at the area and touched it quite extensively without him recoiling with any obvious pain. I think I will apply the medication anyway because it works for all sorts of skin conditions and infestations as a precaution as well as a cure.

I will see about taking him to a vet for a checkover next week - give him a few days to get used to me before I uproot him.

Thanks for your help

Sodapops

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
It sounds suspiciously like a fungal infection - does it look like any of the images in this link:

http://www.guinealynx.info/fungus.html

If it's a fungal infection applying spot on lotions will only irritate the area - he will need proper treatment for that type of condition - ive treated a couple of my piggies very successfully

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.