• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Anyone able to quickly answer a question about our hutch and RSPCA inspection?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I was struggling to find a hutch the right size for 2 guinea pigs so I asked a local joiner to build one for us.

Hubbie has just picked it up and its 4ft long by 2ft deep but its only 1 1/2 foot high even though we told him 2 foot. It looks ok to me but Its not going to past the inspection is it? Just need to know asap so I can take it back to the man if needs be.

Bit cross that I paid to have the thing make to our spec and its not right!

Is it for Guinea Pigs? I think the recommended size is 4ft by 2ft so should be ok fingers crossed! X

Yes I think it is 4ft x 2ft.

Despite that I'd still have a moan especially as you have paid him especially to build it to your requirements! grrrr

Hope the inspection goes well :)

It is 4ft wide by 2ft deep I just thought the height had to be 2 foot too? Maybe I've got it wrong. How annoying though that you pay somebody good money and give clear instructions and he got it wrong grrr... I just want my piggies to be happy!

2ft high isn't really necessary, in fact I find if the hutch is too high the guineas get a bit scared - remember naturally they shy away from 'open plains' and hide in their burrows, so a huge tall echoy hutch can be a bit scary!

My response to this was to build a mezzanine floor :)) must get the photos up!

I am sure 1 1/2 ft is fine, most of mine are around that high. 1ft would be too small though.

2ft higher hutches are more for rabbits :) 1.5 should be fine for pigs :)

Thanks all :)

Just had an email from Becky at Walsall and she said it's fine :)

Sooooo relieved, can't wait to have my piggies

Height isn't that necessary as long as you can fit toys and piggies in there. What would you need the space for? It's not like piggies are that tall... :))

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back