• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Anyone been prescribed this before?

chez33

New Born Pup
Reaction score
So our 2 week old Guinea pig is gaining weight at a rapid rate but has been snotty and sneezing for about 4 days, vet has checked him and he said he 'seemed' fine, I wasn't happy and went back and he has prescribed Sulfasazine Oral suspension? I've googled it and I can't find any evidence of this being an antibiotic? really worried now :-(

what I'm REALLY hoping is that it's a misprint on the label and it's actually Sulfatrim?

When I looked it up I found it being used as an anti inflammatory for illness such rheumatoid arthritis in humans and IBS in dogs and cats. No mention of using it for respiratory infection etc , in any animals including piggies, in a quick look anyway.
@Wiebke , @furryfriends (TEAS) , @Abi_nurse , do any of you know of this drug, is it safe or even licensed for guineas?

Is it a yellow/cream colour and does it have a smell of bananas. I googled Sulfasazine & the nearest I came up with were Sulfasalazine & Sulazine which are used for the treatment of arthritis in humans.

Is it a yellow/cream colour and does it have a smell of bananas. I googled Sulfasazine & the nearest I came up with were Sulfasalazine & Sulazine which are used for the treatment of arthritis in humans.
Sorry, you're right, I typed in sulfasazine and google listed sulfasalazine info in its response.

No it’s a clear liquid, I think they’ve mislabeled it, I’ve emailed them x

Back