• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Anyone else have piggys that just won't get along?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chocdonuty

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I've just had to break up a nasty fight between my 2 dominant sows:(
Currently they live side by side in different cages (c and c) so are well used to each others smells and noises. They had seemed fine like this for a while so I tried again to pop them together which resulted in both of them majorly going for it inside one of the igloos!, thankfully no blood drawn but I really don't know how it would have ended up had I not broke up the fight.
Teeth chattering is still going on after 1/2hr. Some from the fighters, some from the other 2 innocent bystanders!
It's a shame really as it'd be nice to have all 4 together and not separated. Does anyone else have this problem?

Sorry to hear that sounds scary :...

I cannot help much other than sometimes they just for some reason they clash. A few years ago I took a couple of mine to a rescue centre just to find a new friend for them and to make sure they would get along.

We put two placid females (mine) in a small pen and let them get acquainted with the third. One who is very friendly, just went up to say hello to the rescue piggy and the rescue simply reared up on her hind feet, mouth open and went for her absolutely terrifying mine.

Had I not intervened (I panicked, dived in and got bitten by the rescue pig which drew blood, but better me than my baby!) so heavens know what would have happened if they had not been supervised. I whisked mine out very quickly and never did they see each other again! Mine was very distressed and cried her little heart out for about five mins after.

Whenever I get an adopted piggy now I always take them all to choose their friend, as this reaction absolutely horrified me!

I hope yours is not unresolvable but it does sound similar.

I have had one or two just not get one well, they avoid each other and I would not put them in the same carry case for instance but generally as their set up is large it works ok. Just depends on the level of hatred between them!

My two dominant boars HATE each other, i was hoping they could live together as a four like you but not a chance. They only have to smell each other (i swear) and the teeth chattering starts, the neck hair also goes up on one of my boys if they see each other. The chattering continues like you said, then the other two join in. It's just not mean't to be, at least they have a friend each so arn't lonely.

Our situation sounds the same but you have sows and I have boars :)

I'm glad someone else has the same, i was beginning to think it was me and the piggies i choose,everytime i have a new pig no matter which pig i mix them with it always ends up in them living side by side but not actually together. I have just had a neutered boar to go with my sow and the same thing there loud teeth chattering, rumbling, hair going up, there living in a c & c cage at the moment with a barrier in the middle since Saturday and theres still teeth chattering and rumbling going on down the barrier, i just long for 2 piggies (or more) that will actually live together happily!

Perhaps next time you get a new piggie you could go to a rescue, alot of them offer "piggie dating" so the piggies can choose each other, that way they are likely to get on and you will know if they do or not before you come home with them. They quite often have established pairs aswell, if you were looking for two. Just an idea :)

At least they still have company next to each other, its nothing your doing I guess in a way they are like humans some just don't get along fullstop.

I had a sow many years ago that just wouldn't get along with anyone in the herd,she ended up living beside them which she was fine with but every attempt to either pair her up or re-introduce her to the gang ended up in a fight,Bunty was a black and white rex and a real character.

Since she passed some time back i think she's come back in the shape of Summer,a recent addition who's decided that communal living isn't for her no matter how i've tried so its back to another female living beside the main herd.

allan
rspca west suffolk branch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back