• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Anyone grow their own veggies for their piggies?

Eriathwen

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I'm having a go this year..how well it'll go remains to be seen..I'm not very green fingered! But we've got purple curly kale, spring greens, carrots, peas (mainly for us but the pigs can have the pods and shoots) a lovely yellow, round cucumber, pak choi, fennel, mint and parsley! Not finished planting them out yet, I ran out of compost.

Still a lot of growing left to do but hopefully itll be worth it in the end..

DSCN7924.JPGDSCN7925.JPGDSCN7926.JPGDSCN7927.JPGDSCN7928.JPGDSCN7929.JPGDSCN7931.JPG

I've got a meadow mix going on as well with all sorts of piggy safe wild plants, herbs and grasses etc. Hopefully they do well too! Ive not managed to kill them off yet :lol!:

DSCN7932.JPG

I hope your piggies appreciate all the work you’re doing for them.
Our get leaves from the raspberry canes as well a dandelions and grass. They get fresh herbs when my husband grows them.
When it comes to green fingers mine are whatever the opposite is.

Purple kale is their favourite but cant find it anywhere outside of winter so I'm hoping they do appreciate whatever the end result turns out to be! I was thinking of getting a raspberry plant, but fruit seems a little advanced for me haha

I have grown a lot in the past but this year we haven't planted anything due to time and allow the big veg beds to go fallow for this year. We do have things growing that grow every year though:

Kale
Parsley
Strawberry
Apple
Pear
Kiwi
2 Gooseberry types
Blackberry
Raspberry
Cherry
Blueberry
Plum
Blackcurrant
Mint

Oh wow looks like your doing a great job :nod:
I’ve grown various veg in the past but this year only a little parsley, mixed leaves and grass. Next year we planning a veg plot in garden!
Be interested in knowledge by how your kale turns out.

I have grown a lot in the past but this year we haven't planted anything due to time and allow the big veg beds to go fallow for this year. We do have things growing that grow every year though:

Kale
Parsley
Strawberry
Apple
Pear
Kiwi
2 Gooseberry types
Blackberry
Raspberry
Cherry
Blueberry
Plum
Blackcurrant
Mint
You grow kiwi! How exotic! Do they do well?

You grow kiwi! How exotic! Do they do well?

It does actually. It's not massive at the moment and only in a pot but it is in a sheltered part of the garden, winters well and past 2 years we've got 2 Kiwi's each year from it so it's a start. Lots of blossoms on it this year so we'll see what we get.

It does actually. It's not massive at the moment and only in a pot but it is in a sheltered part of the garden, winters well and past 2 years we've got 2 Kiwi's each year from it so it's a start. Lots of blossoms on it this year so we'll see what we get.
That’s amazing, I must try that! Never even crossed my mind you could grow kiwi in this country :san:

You make mine seem like a small enterprise, I've done lettuce & cucumber, tomatoes I'm growing celery indoors.This year l want to try Chard my pigs love. Seeings it is colourful I'll probably put it in with the flowers.

I was wondering what I could grow. I do courgette every year - pigs don't like them but I do - and usually runner beans, but I'm fed up of being the only one in the house who eats those. Might try chard for the piggies.

I went back for more soil and saw some bits they didnt have last time, so ive got rainbow chard and radicchio too now..seeing as ive not managed to kill anything yet even with all the storms we've had! I'm really excited to be able to feed them their favourite foods soon! They can never get enough chard.

DSCN7953.JPGDSCN7954.JPG

It's so exciting, even if you still need to buy top-ups it's not bad at all!

We've went a bit mad this year:
- Basil
- Green and purple beans
- Radichio
- Coriander
- Courgette
- Lemon-shaped and normal cucumbers
- Fennel
- Cavalo Nero kale
- Heads of lettuce and looseleaf lettuce
- Mizuna
- Nasturtium
- Parsley
- Radish (not often!)
- Rocket
- Spinach
- Swiss chard
- Cherry tomatoes (red, yellow, black)

Let's not forget the poor humans too!
- Beetroot
- Garlic
- Onions
- Potatoes
- Spring onion
- Sweetcorn
- Pumpkin

IMG_20180521_194522 (1).jpgIMG_20180521_194539 (1).jpgIMG_20180521_194550 (1).jpgIMG_20180521_194606 (1).jpgIMG_20180521_194640 (1).jpg

Oh wow! Quite a few then haha my Bramble would be packing her bags to have a nibble on your cavalo nero if she saw that :lol!: thats her favourite. Is it easy to grow?

For me, it's been quite easy to grow; I grew the two big plants over the winter (!) and have eight more in the process of growing. I've seen some cabbage white butterflies around though, and I've spotted some eggs so my crop may get decimated. It's an easy problem to get around though, just put some insect netting over the kale :nod:

To my amazement, they've not only not died, they're actually doing quite well :lol!: at this rate the guineas might yet get to eat them in a couple of months! I hope everyone elses are doing well :)

35634095_10211889229966964_3484350840888623104_n.jpg

Back