• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Anyone Had Any Experience With Gabapatin?

natw1181

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
For use with spondylosis. Can't find much about it apart from use with epilepsy which she hasn't
got! Woke up Christmas day to my baby crying out in pain. She can't really move her back legs and her front ones had doubled in size! Took her the vets yesterday and was told it was spondylosis in spine and something to do with blood cells. Metacm didn't seem to have any effect so was given Buprenodale 0.03ml twice a day, but still isn't doing much. Really don't want to loose her. Vet said we could try gabapentin, so getting back to them. She's now just over 5years. Any ideas? Thanks

For use with spondylosis. Can't find much about it apart from use with epilepsy which she hasn't
got! Woke up Christmas day to my baby crying out in pain. She can't really move her back legs and her front ones had doubled in size! Took her the vets yesterday and was told it was spondylosis in spine and something to do with blood cells. Metacm didn't seem to have any effect so was given Buprenodale 0.03ml twice a day, but still isn't doing much. Really don't want to loose her. Vet said we could try gabapentin, so getting back to them. She's now just over 5years. Any ideas? Thanks

Sorry, I have no experience with this drug in guinea pigs.

@helen105281 @Freela @furryfriends (TEAS) @Jaycey

It is a painkiller for neuropathic (nerve) pain, but I have not heard of it being used in guinea pigs before. I'm sorry, I wish I had more info to give you. I only recognize the drug name from work (I'm a medical transcriptionist/medical editor, so I type it up frequently in humans.)

Thank you, the best answer I've got and even sounds like it might be quite good then, cheers

I know it's used on dogs when metacam/tramadol not working to ease pain. It's strong and can have side effects, in dogs I noticed drowsiness, confusion...
Piggies have fast metabolism so unsure what effect it has on them. They would have to discuss with you.
Fingers crossed she feels better soon!

Back