• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Anyone Know If Mdf Is Dangerous?

Status
Not open for further replies.

littlebubble

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I recently posted that I wanted to get a new c&c cage for my piggies..it was working out quite expensive so I (foolishly) went and got some mdf wood cut and I'm in the process of putting together a large cage for them when I dawned on me that i never checked if mdf wood is safe..having googled it, it's not looking good!
I'm wondering does anyone know if it's just unsafe If they chew it or is the wood itself dangerous too them?

Any help is appreciated. I'm so annoyed that I didn't check this out before spending so much time and money on this!:eek:

Thanks for the link I had a quick search but didn't find anything.

I suppose I could line it with ply but I'm thinking it'd probably just be easier now to start from scratch.:(:(
I've spent hours making windows and doors on it..I'm so annoyed with myself for not checking first :oops:

It's better safe than sorry.

Bide your time for a bit - the thread is 2006 - things may have changed . Another forum member may post here

MDF and plywood are filled with glue. It's not safe if your pigs chew on them.

Kiln dried solid wood will be much safer.

Thanks lissie..Is it only unsafe for them if they chew it? I wonder if I was to line the walls with Lino or something like that would it be ok..

Thanks lissie..Is it only unsafe for them if they chew it? I wonder if I was to line the walls with Lino or something like that would it be ok..

yes - I think so. Do Poundland in your area? Poundland sell adhesive lino tiles which are very useful.

I have seen some threads which say ply is OK . I agree with Lissie that ply is contains glue and it is not a good idea for guinea pigs to chew lots of it - but MDF is worse ( if you see the thread I linked - MDF has formaldehyde in it ).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back