• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Anyone know what this noise means?

Josie_lg

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I did some research and thought it might be honking. But my piggie has started making this noise when she eats. She got all excited for veggies and it just came on all of a sudden. I read it can be food trapped in molars but now I’m not sure. Anyone know?

Siikibam

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
You haven’t described the noise so weee still in the dark. Could you record it and post a link here once you have uploaded it elsewhere (YouTube, Vimeo etc)?

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
I did some research and thought it might be honking. But my piggie has started making this noise when she eats. She got all excited for veggies and it just came on all of a sudden. I read it can be food trapped in molars but now I’m not sure. Anyone know?
Hi!

Unfortunately it is impossible for us to say whether you are dealing just with a minor obstruction of some sort in the narrow airways (like a little hay dust) or some something else stuck just on the basis of your own guesses without any access to some verifiable information.

Guinea pig airways are very narrow and small. They are not good mouth breathers. Every little obstruction becomes more audible when eating. But some piggies are also greedy eaters, which can lead to the coughing and making some other rather startling noises. Or whether there is really something stuck in the mouth.

This is just general information. If problems persist your piggy is obviously struggling trying to get rid of something stuck, then please see a vet promptly.