• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Anything else I can be doing?

Ellen Cookie

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi folks, I am wondering how else I can help Ralph. He is a little superstar who is winning every day despite his terminal bladder stone/kidney calcification diagnosis a few weeks back. He has hay and grain free nuggets alongside grass and veg each day. He's a fan of sweet potato with oats so that's been added to the menu. Is it ok to offer that oat/sweet potato mix regularly? I am basically keen to pamper him as much as possible.
He also loves critical care and I had been offering that in a bowl, could I carry on with that?
He takes his Loxicom like a hero, loves chewing the syringe 🥰
Today's weight is 720g (so tiny, bless him) and after consistently dropping seems to have leveled out.
Anyone with palliative are experience, is there any other ways I can make him as comfy as possible?

Piggies&buns

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Hi folks, I am wondering how else I can help Ralph. He is a little superstar who is winning every day despite his terminal bladder stone/kidney calcification diagnosis a few weeks back. He has hay and grain free nuggets alongside grass and veg each day. He's a fan of sweet potato with oats so that's been added to the menu. Is it ok to offer that oat/sweet potato mix regularly? I am basically keen to pamper him as much as possible.
He also loves critical care and I had been offering that in a bowl, could I carry on with that?
Today's weight is 720g (so tiny, bless him) and after consistently dropping seems to have leveled out.
Anyone with palliative are experience, is there any other ways I can make him as comfy as possible?
Yes it’s fine to carry on with the critical care, it’ll help to boost his food intake and balance his weight as much as is possible as will the oats/sweet potato
Otherwise, ensure his pain relief is doing its job - keeping an eye out for if dosages need adjusting and speaking to the vet accordingly and then spoiling him rotten.

Ellen Cookie

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Yes it’s fine to carry on with the critical care, it’ll help to boost his food intake and balance his weight as much as is possible as will the oats/sweet potato
Otherwise, ensure his pain relief is doing its job - keeping an eye out for if dosages need adjusting and speaking to the vet accordingly and then spoiling him rotten.
Thanks very much. I'll check in with my vet re. the pain relief as while he's active and moving around well, he seems to crouch rather than lie down when resting and I'm wondering if a higher dosage might help with that.

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi!

At this stage anything goes that he loves, that gives him pleasure and tickles his zest for life. Treat every day more as a special boon; the end can always come very suddenly and from an angle you are not expecting. Rather fill every day with a joy than playing for giving him a few days more to live - when the chips are down, enjoying what he can still enjoy is what makes all the difference for him, as a day more or less of life doesn't really make much of a difference in the overall scheme of things. It is his enjoyment that you will carry in your memories and in your heart forever. ;)

You may find these guides here helpful:
A Practical and Sensitive Guide to Dying, Terminal Illness and Euthanasia in Guinea Pigs
Enrichment Ideas for Guinea Pigs

Ellen Cookie

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi!

At this stage anything goes that he loves, that gives him pleasure and tickles his zest for life. Treat every day more as a special boon; the end can always come very suddenly and from an angle you are not expecting. Rather fill every day with a joy than playing for giving him a few days more to live - when the chips are down, enjoying what he can still enjoy is what makes all the difference for him, as a day more or less of life doesn't really make much of a difference in the overall scheme of things. It is his enjoyment that you will carry in your memories and in your heart forever. ;)

A Practical and Sensitive Guide to Dying, Terminal Illness and Euthanasia in Guinea Pigs
You're absolutely right

Ellen Cookie

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi!

You're absolutely right, it's totally about quality of life. I'm treating every hour we have with him as a gift. Thanks for the links ❤