• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Appropriate weight gain?

P

Piggies12437392

My moth and a half old boy, Finnegan, gained 80 g in a week. And his brother, who is also a month and a half old gained 82 g. Last week Finnegan weighed 444 g, this week he weighs 524 g. Harvey weighed 391 g last week and now he weighs 473 g. Is the weight ok? Is that normal?

Siikibam

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
There is no set weight for guinea pigs. They all come in different shapes and sizes so you can only go by them individually. Feel the heft and if it’s okay then they’re fine.

As an example, my sows weighed roughly the same when I got them. But now there’s usually a 100g difference.
Weight - Monitoring and Management

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
My moth and a half old boy, Finnegan, gained 80 g in a week. And his brother, who is also a month and a half old gained 82 g. Last week Finnegan weighed 444 g, this week he weighs 524 g. Harvey weighed 391 g last week and now he weighs 473 g. Is the weight ok? Is that normal?
Hi!

As long as your little boys are putting on weight and not losing it, you are fine. That is quite a big weight gain but it can well be that your better diet is now filtering through and your boys are catching up.

On a good general diet piggies will realise their optimal genetically determined size and weight before they hit adulthood at 15 months of age; that is over a year away. Weight gain doesn't necessary happen evenly and you will have times, especially after a very fast gain or once they have reached most of their weight, when you have periods of stagnation. Don't worry about those. As long as your boys are hungry and active, they are doing fine. The one you have to be on the lookout for is weight loss. The weight guide below tells you more about this and when you need to see a vet/how quickly you need to see a vet. There is a lot of very practical and helpful basic information in there.

Here is more information on diet (all food groups) and weight (all questions around weight and weighing, including how you work out whether a piggy of any size is a good weight for it irrespective of age 'heft', and how weight changes throughout the life time). You may find it very interesting and helpful, as it is not the quantity but the quality of what you feed that can influence overall health and longevity.
Long Term Balanced General And Special Needs Guinea Pig Diets
Weight - Monitoring and Management