• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Are corner litter trays a good idea?

pontymisterpalmer

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi everyone my husband has just built our piggies a beautiful new c&c cage in our living room, I have made a set of fleece liners and I am wondering whether it would be a good idea to buy corner litter trays to try and keep it clean?
Thanks Maria.

They help keep hay in roughly one place but still allows the piggies to get in amongst the hay, so yes they are a good idea. You won’t be able to get them to use them to toilet in though as piggies cant really be litter trained.

If there’s hay in there they may go in there mostly. But be aware they will still likely poo and pee everywhere else.

Mine unload in the snuggle tunnels 😅 which isn't what I bought them for but I guess it's just a nice enclosed place to spend some time... and they're easy to empty out! I tried corner toilets but nobody went near them. I was inspired by a lady who had a hamster that used a toilet pot every time... she only cleaned it's cage once a month and even then it didn't really need it!

Mine mostly use whichever corner has a house in it (for privacy I guess 😂). If you mean using it for hay, then I would recommend a piece of Lino, or separate, designated fleece pads that can either easily be swept clean, or taken away and beaten out. I use a hay drum which keeps things fairly organised, but you might want to brace yourself, because hay will still end up migrating across your lovely new fleece 😬

Also, would love a picture of your setup. I love seeing piggie homes 🏠

😂 that’s why I stopped using wood shavings. I was fed up of having them attached to various bits of clothing. I haven’t used shavings in about 10 months and I’m still finding them 😱😱😱

Hi everyone my husband has just built our piggies a beautiful new c&c cage in our living room, I have made a set of fleece liners and I am wondering whether it would be a good idea to buy corner litter trays to try and keep it clean?
Thanks Maria.

You can’t litter train piggies, we use a corner litter tray for hay, but they will poo and pee where they want! They may use it a bit but it’s likely you will still end up with poops everywhere 😂

Hi I agree with rp1993 - I have a large plastic bowl and a corner litter tray - I fill both with hay and my two boys love eating from them, snoozing in them and they do pee and poop in them. I change them everyday but they enjoy them.
It’s so easy to poo pick anyway. The c&c home for your piggies sounds lovely - would be great to see some pigtures of your guinea pigs🥰

You posted about this and were already given an answer. I’ll ask for this thread to be deleted.

I’ve tried figuring out where they pee, my conclusion is that they pee everywhere. I have not tried to train them though (we have 2 boars). I have a hay tray and I have discovered they poo and pee in there too. I am pretty new to it all though x

Also, would love a picture of your setup. I love seeing piggie homes 🏠
Hi Fantasimo here are some photos of our setup and our piggies Bill and Ted.
It's in the corner of our living room and is a bit of a work in progress.
I've had loads of piggies over the years but they were always kept outside in the shed because that what you did in those days.
It's been so much more rewarding having them indoors although I have always loved piggies I didn't realise before now funny they are.

Attachments

• IMG_20201104_153207.jpg
    IMG_20201104_153207.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_20201104_153238.jpg
    IMG_20201104_153238.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_20201104_153323.jpg
    IMG_20201104_153323.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 29
They look very happy and what a fabulous home they have ! Lucky Bill and Ted ! It is such fun owning guinea pigs - I have my two indoors and I don’t think I would have got to know their personalities or little funny ways so much if they had been outside.

I would add a lot more hay than what I can see.

Please also change your location to your county. What you put is too detailed. Remember this is the internet, you have to keep personal information personal.

Back