• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Are Cuys Sold In The Uk

Status
Not open for further replies.

PiggieHerd

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I realized that I joined the UK forum and was wondering are your pet stores selling Cuys?

Where I live, the Chain Pet Stores are selling Cuys which is a problem because are bigger and wilder. The rescue I adopted my girls are seeing an increase of Cuy surrenders. They are trying to educate Pet Stores and have them pressure breeders to stop breeding them.

Luckily they do not seem to be sold here. I have read all about the way stupid people are trying to introduce cuys into the pet industry and I am really against it. These poor animals are very shy and quite wild.

Thankfully, so far cuys have thankfully only made it into breeding circles over here in Britain. We are keeping our fingers firmly crossed that they are not making it into our pet shop supply chains although, as we have seen in the case of skinny (hairless) piggies, it is likely only a matter of time. :(

We have heard about the issues especially in California and the British based but internationally available Guinea Pig Magazine has also run an article about them.
https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk...old-as-pets-in-us-stores.112246/#post-1523504

I am extremely thankful for my Rescue because they do great work.

We recently had two cuys who were dumped in the park and living there for almost a year and nearby residents would drop food when they can. Somebody reported the sighting to the LA Guinea Pig Rescue and she alerted everyone who were piggie fans if they can help capture these two cuys. After countless hours and many volunteers they were captured and brought back to the rescue. The good part of the story is that both have been adopted together.

We've been getting alot of alerts recently of Guinea Pigs being dumped at parks.

I like this one story about a woman surrendering her piggie because she thought she was a failure. Her piggie was always scared and running away from her. She went to the rescue and founder explained to her that she has a Cuy and explained their nature/behavior, she felt relieved and ended up adopting another Cuy and a larger cage for the both of them. I love stories like that.

http://www.laguineapigrescue.com/cuy-page.html

I really hope Cuys don't enter your market in the UK.

I have only just learnt what they are and it made me feel physically sick , how could you do that to a guinea pig ?, they should be as the species intened them to evolve without human intervention ! :hb: :cen: x

We recently had two cuys who were dumped in the park and living there for almost a year and nearby residents would drop food when they can. Somebody reported the sighting to the LA Guinea Pig Rescue and she alerted everyone who were piggie fans if they can help capture these two cuys. After countless hours and many volunteers they were captured and brought back to the rescue. The good part of the story is that both have been adopted together.

We've been getting alot of alerts recently of Guinea Pigs being dumped at parks.

I like this one story about a woman surrendering her piggie because she thought she was a failure. Her piggie was always scared and running away from her. She went to the rescue and founder explained to her that she has a Cuy and explained their nature/behavior, she felt relieved and ended up adopting another Cuy and a larger cage for the both of them. I love stories like that.

Aww that is so heart warming.

I'm in Canada, and have never seen one. I have read about them being mixed into the pet trade in the US, however.

My cousin went to Peru last year and ate one... I told her that my pigs are going to bite her and pee on her lap when they see her next! I'm a vegetarian anyhow, but no way could I eat a piggy!

I'm in Canada, and have never seen one. I have read about them being mixed into the pet trade in the US, however.

My cousin went to Peru last year and ate one... I told her that my pigs are going to bite her and pee on her lap when they see her next! I'm a vegetarian anyhow, but no way could I eat a piggy!

I could never go to Peru :nod:

Thank heavens there are people willing to run rescues .

I have only just learnt what they are and it made me feel physically sick , how could you do that to a guinea pig ?, they should be as the species intened them to evolve without human intervention ! :hb: :cen: x

Our pet guinea pigs are far worse. They are purely a human creation and no longer bear any resemblance to wild counterparts, same as dogs.

Our pet guinea pigs are far worse. They are purely a human creation and no longer bear any resemblance to wild counterparts, same as dogs.
I thought the guinea pigs were not different to how they were meant to be ! Have the been genetically bree* ? x

I thought the guinea pigs were not different to how they were meant to be ! Have the been genetically bree* ? x

Think about long haired breeds... can't exist in the wild as hair matts without brushing. Skinnies are lab bred. Faulty genes such as roaning are purposefully bred.

Think about long haired breeds... can't exist in the wild as hair matts without brushing. Skinnies are lab bred. Faulty genes such as roaning are purposefully bred.
I knew skinnies were lab bred but it slipped my mind as to the long haired pigs ! x

How about we stop being ignorant. It's a way of life for people to eat these creatures in South America. To many people, cows are considered sacred- should we tell them that they are wrong because other people eat them? In North America we butcher them before they are fully grown. Don't be so quick to judge a country that isn't as well off as many others. Cuy is a staple of the diet in South America, should people go hungry over there because we keep them as pets and apparently, want them to mass populate the world? Guinea pigs produce quickly and people raise them for food. Please don't start up on the vegetarian/vegan aspect because there are people who are hungry in this world and don't have such an easy choice as some.

Pal, I dont think anyone was saying that its wrong to eat meat when you live in poverty stricken areas of the world. I think its more about introducing cuy into the petstore chain and continually breeding and mutating animals for "desirable" features and behaviours.

Before this debate is getting out of hand, may I remind everybody that all guinea pigs as we know them are a domestic species and have been domesticated as a much needed source of protein in South American farmyards for thousands of years, similar to the role chickens play in Europe and Asia; they are not found living naturally in the wild. They are likely descended from one of the three wild species of guinea pigs that can be still found in South America (and there is currently a debate going on about which one), but they are no longer the same species as the wild ones.

Whatever breed of guinea pigs and however old the breeds are, like the agoutis and dutch piggies, they have all been bred and selected for a very long time before they ever arrived in Europe for the first time about 500 years ago.

Cuy guinea pigs are a very recent cross between domestic and wild guinea pigs (hence their skittishness), specifically bred for the South American meat industry. Unfortunately, they have made it in the pet shop supply chain in California and into breeding circles in several more countries.

As we only know guinea pigs as pets and not as a traditional source of meat, it is easy for us to have a clear opinion on that issue; before you condemn, exchance guinea pigs with chickens, and you will find that your stance is not necessarily quite as clear and as easy! ;)

It also worth keeping in mind that whatever breed your own much loved piggies are, they have been bred at some point.

Pal, I dont think anyone was saying that its wrong to eat meat when you live in poverty stricken areas of the world. I think its more about introducing cuy into the petstore chain and continually breeding and mutating animals for "desirable" features and behaviours.

I wrote my reply in response to these comments which are definitely judging the fact that people eat cuy. I said nothing about introducing them into pet stores.

Ohhh. omg thats awful! :vom::mal:

My cousin went to Peru last year and ate one... I told her that my pigs are going to bite her and pee on her lap when they see her next! I'm a vegetarian anyhow, but no way could I eat a piggy![/QUOTE]

I could never go to Peru :nod:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back