Are Dried Corn Sticks Safe For Guinea Pigs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HarrysAnimals

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I got some dried Corn Sticks from Pets at Home last week, and I was wondering if they were safe for Guinea Pigs. It did say that they were for Guinea Pigs and Birds, but I wasn't sure whether they were, so I thought I'd check on here.

Attachments

gogoguineas

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
There's a lot of things marketed for small pets which aren't actually suitable, normally due to the high sugar content.
I haven't bought this but I have seen in the past people advise they're not suitable. I checked the advisable food list in the sticky topic and can't see that this is advised, you could also check guinea lynx :)

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
To be honest, none of my guinea pigs have ever been much interested in them! I tried them when there was not much else around in terms of treat in past years.
Dry forage is a much better and healthier treat.

Hank288

Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
I buy them for my piggies occasionally, 2 of my girls really like them, while the other 2 just pulled the corn off and scattered it across the cage. It stopped them getting bored for a while.

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
PS: I also had single corns firmly stuck on the teeth on a couple of occasions. :(

HarrysAnimals

New Born Pup
Reaction score
There's a lot of things marketed for small pets which aren't actually suitable, normally due to the high sugar content.
I haven't bought this but I have seen in the past people advise they're not suitable. I checked the advisable food list in the sticky topic and can't see that this is advised, you could also check guinea lynx :)
Ok, thanx gogoguineas

HarrysAnimals

New Born Pup
Reaction score
To be honest, none of my guinea pigs have ever been much interested in them! I tried them when there was not much else around in terms of treat in past years.
Dry forage is a much better and healthier treat.
Ok, i'll use it for my hamster in moderation instead x

Chief Guinea Pig

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I personally don't like these, I've found they get stuck in teeth. And fresh corn on the cob is better.

xxaimeexx

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Be careful with choking/corn stuck in teeth and probably only feed supervised and occasionally for this reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.